Universal Credit and Housing Benefits

Universal Credit is a new benefit introduced for new claimants as part of the Government's Welfare Reform programme. It replaces six existing benefits with a single monthly payment for those who are out of work or on a low income. Housing Benefit remains for those aged above their state retirement age.

There are a number of additional benefits you may be able to claim: the Local Council Tax Reduction Scheme and Discretionary Housing Payment.

Which benefit is for me?

From November 2016, working-age people making a new claim for help with their housing costs will need to apply for Universal Credit. There are exceptions for:-

  • people who live in supported accommodation, or
  • anyone living within Allerdale whose post code does not fall within the following areas: CA7 1, CA7 2, CA7 3, CA7 4, CA12 4, CA12 5, CA13 0, CA13 3, CA13 9, CA14 1, CA14 2, CA14 3, CA14 4, CA14 5, CA14 9, CA15 6, CA15 7, CA15 8

Please contact us on 0303 123 1702 for further information.

Those of state retirement age and over can apply directly to us for Housing Benefit. 

Anyone who needs help with their Council Tax costs can apply directly to us for Council Tax Reduction. 

Universal Credit Housing Benefit
Find out and apply for Universal Credit Apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction
Find out and apply for Council Tax Reduction Find out about Discretionary Housing Payments
Find out and apply for Discretionary Housing Payment  
Get advice and support on budgeting  


Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ