Budget Support and Advice

Budget Support

We can offer support with managing budgets. If you are claiming Universal Credit, you will be allocated a work coach by the Jobcentre who will refer you to us. If you are claiming Housing Benefit, you are not able to seek a tailored budget plan from the Council.

You can call us on 0303 123 1702 if you need help with:

Or call the Universal Credit Helpline on 0345 600 4272 if you need help with:

Other useful tips and numbers

Some energy companies offer a Warm Homes discount scheme. Contact your energy company to find out if you are eligible.

You may want to consider installing a water or credit meter. If you are having problems paying your utility bills, contact your supplier straight away and they may be able to offer options payment.

Speak to your landlord, or if you’re making debt repayments, speak to your creditors, to explain your situation and ask them to accept a later payment once your Universal Credit payment comes through.

  • Citizens Advice Bureau: 01900 604735
  • Emergency food from the Food Bank: 01900 604735 or 01900 872547
  • Free school meals and clothing vouchers from Cumbria County Council: 01228 221133
  • If you’re facing eviction from your property of accommodation: 01900 702660
  • The Energy Efficiency Advice Service: 0300 123 1234

Debt advice is available from:

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ