Benefits supporting evidence required

What supporting evidence is required?

There are a number of documents that must be provided in support of a benefit application to allow a claimant's benefit entitlement to be determined.  All of these documents must be original. 

Proof of identity and National Insurance number

Claimants must provide evidence of identity and National Insurance number for themselves and their partner.  A leaflet listing some of the documents that are acceptable is available from the downloadable documents section at the bottom of this page.

Proof of income

If you are employed, you are required to provide five wage slips if you are paid weekly, two wage slips if you are paid monthly or three wage slips if you are paid fortnightly.  If you do not have wage slips, an official letter from your employer may be acceptable.  The letter should include the following information:

  • The full name and address of your employer
  • The number of hours worked and the period covered
  • Gross income for the period and year to date
  • Income Tax deducted
  • National Insurance Contributions deducted
  • Details of occupational pension or personal pension payments
  • Method of payment (such as cheque, cash, BACS etc).

Alternatively we can send a 'Certificate of Earned Income' directly to your employer.  This form requests all the relevant earnings details that we require.                    

Proof of savings/capital

To establish your savings/capital, we will need to see your last two months bank statement or the up to date pass books for each account that you hold, as well as details of any other investments you may have, for example; stocks and shares, PEPs, ISAs, Premium Bonds, National Savings Certificates, land or property etc.

Proof of rent

If you rent your home and wish to claim Housing Benefit, you will need to provide up to date proof of your rent. This is usually your tenancy agreement and rent book or a signed and dated letter from your landlord confirming the following:

  • The full name and address of your landlord and managing agent
  • Your tenancy start date and the term of the tenancy
  • The amount of rent payable
  • How often the rent is to be paid
  • Details of any services included in the rent (such as meals, heating, lighting, hot water etc)
  • Details of any payments that have already been made (amounts and dates of the payments).

The application form states what supporting evidence is required to allow the Council to process a claim. These documents must be original, photocopies will not be accepted.

If a claimant cannot provide evidence straightaway they should send in their form and submit the evidence later.


Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerDocuments Acceptable As Proof Of Identity in PDF format16 Kb2 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Word formatDocuments Acceptable As Proof Of Identity in Word format22 Kb3 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Get Microsoft Word ViewerDownload Microsoft Word Viewer (external website). Microsoft Word Viewer allows you to view Word documents even if you don't have Word installed on your computer.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ