About Universal Credit

Universal Credit is part of the government's Welfare Reform programme.  It is a new benefit that is replacing the six existing benefits with a single monthly payment if you are out of work or on a low income.

Universal Credit is replacing:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit was rolled out and extended to all new claimants (of working age) on 9 November 2016. You can apply via the Department for Work and Pensions website.

You may still be able to claim Housing Benefit if you live in the catchment area for Carlisle Jobcentre or you have 3 or more children but you can find out what benefits are available where.

What other benefits might be available to me?

Council Tax Reduction

You will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Reduction if you have a liability to pay Council Tax.  If you need help to complete the form, please visit your local office or ring us on the number shown.

Advisers at Allerdale can talk you through other benefits you might be able to claim, how to claim them and how to get additional support.

Discretionary Housing Payments

See if you may be entitled to help with your housing costs via a Discretionary Housing Payment.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerApplication for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Recuction in PDF format3243 Kb7 mins 43 secs @ 56k, 13 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ