Flooding and severe weather

You can call us on 0303 123 1702 or you can use the Environment Agency flood line number 0345 988 1188 .Extreme flood infographic

General information and advice

The Cumbria County Council emergency website provides a wealth of information

You can get advice and guidance on all sorts of issues with regards the flooding at the  customer contact centres in Cockermouth, Keswick, Maryport, Wigton and Workington.

Preparing for a flood and keeping up to date with the latest situation

There are some simple things you can do to be better prepared for a flood:

Surface water flooding

If a road is flooding due to excessive surface water and blocked drains, call Cumbria County Council Highways on 0300 303 2992. For other agencies, such as utility companies, there are a number of other emergency numbers and Twitter accounts.

Grants and financial help for those who have been flooded

Applications for flood resilience grants are now closed. You may however still be eligible to apply for other sources of funding.

Flood sacks (similar to sand bags)

We have distributed FREE flood sacks at various locations to help you keep flood water from your property. The current locations are:

  • Allerdale Borough Council main office, Allerdale House, Workington, CA14 3YJ
  • Allerdale Borough Council Keswick office, Keswick Town Hall, Main Street, Keswick
  • Allerdale Borough Council Cockermouth office, Fairfield Car Park, Cockermouth
  • Allerdale Borough Council Maryport office, Senhouse Street, Maryport
  • Wigton Local Links, Community Office, Market Hall, Church Street, Wigton, Cumbria CA7 9AA
  • Aspatria Dairy, Station Road, Aspatria, Cumbria (24 hours)
  • Dearham Village Hall, Dearham
  • Brigham Memorial Hall, Brigham
  • Solway Coast Discovery Centre, Liddell Street, Silloth-on-Solway, Cumbria, CA7 4DD (sandbags only)

Click the link to see opening times and locations of our area offices outlined above.

Flood sacks are items which swell when placed in water and can act as a barrier, much like a sand bag, to divert water. When dry they are light and reasonably flat so they can be stored for when they are required. If you are worried about flooding you can also get sandbags and flood sacks from builders merchants. Please remember that sandbags and flood sacks are only an aid to slowing down water ingress. They cannot be relied upon to protect your property from flooding.

What work has been going on?

The Environment Agency's Google map shows all the work they have been doing to protect communities.

Flood Re - Insurance for residential properties

The government's scheme to provide insurance to households whose home has flooded launched in April 2016. More details on the scheme can be found in the leaflets below, as well as in this video:

Insurance for commercial properties

The British Insurance Brokers’ Association (BIBA) announced the launch of a new commercial insurance scheme for businesses that will also include flood cover for many commercial premises and let properties located in areas at risk from flooding. The commercial scheme backed by the A+ rated security of Lloyd’s underwriting capacity uses an advanced mapping facility developed by Landmark which pin-points exactly the location and features of an individual property. Having this degree of specific and detailed risk reflective information allows each individual business or property to have insurance that is based on its own specific risk. The scheme is designed to also take account of any flood resilience or resistance measures that businesses have invested in.

Unlike the Flood Re scheme available to domestic properties this is a commercial proposition and not a levy, with best endeavours the scheme will look to provide terms but they are not obliged to offer a quotation.

Innovatively, the scheme also offers a high degree of customer choice giving the option to ‘buy-back’ any flood excess that is applied because of the business location meaning customers can choose the amount of risk they want to bear themselves.

This scheme is available only through BIBA broker members, one of your local BIBA members Look up brokers in your area at or call 0370 950 1790 for their "Find a Broker" service.

Cleaning up after a flood - advice for residents and businesses

The Environment Agency provides a wealth of information on what to do after you have been flooded - including what your insurance company would require. The Chartered Institute of Loss Adjusters also have lots of useful information for policy holders.

Business owners can find business continuity and other useful information on the Chamber of Trade website.

If you wish to volunteer of offer support, additional information is on the Cumbria County Council's web page Cumbria floods - offers of help and assistance.

You can find out more information on what to do after your property has been flooded on the Public Health England page. There is also information for homeowners and food businesses in the documents below. 

The County Council website provides a lot of information on what to do during a flood and after. There is also advice and guidance available if you have to restore an historic house.

Who does what with regard to flooding?

When Cumbria floods a number of organisations work together to help. We all have different roles and responsibilities

Allerdale Borough Council - our primary role is to set up and man reception centres for people who have had to be evacuated from their homes. We will then help find alternative temporary accommodation. Once the immediate emergency is over, we can assist with environmental health, housing, building control, and planning enquiries and issues.

Cumbria County Council - these are the strategic flood authority in the county and co-ordinate and lead on flood recovery. They are also responsible for surface water and road flooding.

Environment Agency -  the EA is responsible for incidents involving sea and river flooding. They provide a wealth of information on river and sea levels through their website.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Microsoft Word formatPlanning and building - flood information pack in Word format123 Kb18 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerFlooding - how to clean up your house safely in PDF format181 Kb26 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb
Microsoft Word formatFlooding advice for food businesses in Word format157 Kb22 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerResponding to Major Floods insurance advice in PDF format11106 Kb26 mins 27 secs @ 56k, 45 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerFlood Re - leaflet in PDF format1529 Kb3 mins 38 secs @ 56k, 6 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerFlood re scheme - trifold leaflet in PDF format2091 Kb4 mins 59 secs @ 56k, 9 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Word formatFR Advice Leaflet May 2016 in Word format208 Kb30 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb
Microsoft Word formatCatchment Director Update, Derwent - September 2016 in Word format14 Kb2 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Word formatEnv Agency community flood plan in Word format147 Kb21 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerEnv Ag personal flood plan in PDF format67 Kb10 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Word formatEA Derwent Catchment update in Word format23 Kb3 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Get Microsoft Word ViewerDownload Microsoft Word Viewer (external website). Microsoft Word Viewer allows you to view Word documents even if you don't have Word installed on your computer.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ