Contact Information

 0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council,
Allerdale House,
CA14 3YJ

This page has been tagged with the following keywords (What's this?)


Funding sources


Business support funding of £4.3m is being made available for the tourism, agriculture and food production industries in Cumbria. As part of the allocation of remaining EU funding streams secured via the Cumbria Local Enterprise Partnership, three new programme rounds have been launched under the European Agriculture Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD). A £1.3m investment is available to support the development of tourism infrastructure throughout rural Cumbria.  The aim is to support projects that will encourage more tourists to visit Cumbria, stay longer and spend more money in rural areas.

Funding of £1.5m is to assist rural business development with grants to enable farm diversification or business innovation and growth.  Grant funding can help pay for constructing or improving buildings and/or buying new equipment and machinery.

The remaining £1.5m is being applied to help food processing businesses to develop and extend supply chains, enabling them to export their goods as well as achieving business growth.  It is aimed at food and drink businesses which process agricultural and horticultural products.

These latest EAFRD funding rounds are open for a twelve month period.

For further information about the specifications of the ‘tourism infrastructure’ investment call, visit:

For further information about the specifications of the ‘rural business development’ investment call, visit:

For further information about the specifications of the ‘food processing’ investment call, visit: 

European Structural Investment Fund (ESIF)

1) Call for projects promoting climate change adaptation, risk prevention and management 

2) Call to run projects enhancing the competitiveness of small and medium sized enterprises  through access to finance 

3) Call to run projects enhancing the competitiveness of small and medium sized enterprises including premises  

EIP-agri grant scheme

Grants are available under the latest phase of the European Innovation Partnership for Agricultural Productivity and Sustainability scheme.

Funding can be used to boost productivity in the livestock, arable, horticultural and forestry sectors and create ground-breaking new technology – unlocking innovation in the farming industry.

Grants worth between £5,000 and £150,000 will be available for projects for up to three years to encourage new farming techniques, and encourage farming and forestry sustainability.

The LEADER approach is a well-established, mandatory element of the EU Rural Development Programme.

This £138m scheme is part of an overall £456m RDPE package and funding will support jobs and growth in rural areas mainly through small grants.  Funding will include help for farming and forestry businesses as well as other types of businesses and communities in rural areas.   
LEADER covers 85% of rural England with other RPDE funding covering the other 15% of the country. Farmers, foresters and other businesses may be able to apply for grants under other parts of the programme, such as Countryside Productivity, and Growth Programme.

New call for projects launched – FARM PRODUCTIVITY

The call is seeking applications for investments which support the processing, marketing and/or development of agricultural products.  This call invites Outline Applications which support the delivery of Programme B (Improving the economic performance, resilience and competitiveness of the farming and forestry sectors) of the Solway, Border and Eden Local Development Strategy.


Details of how to apply can be found here:


Details of how to apply can be found here:

Growth Programme

The Growth Programme delivered by the RPA is uniquely placed to provide funding to help the rural economy thrive and to secure jobs and growth in rural areas to benefit local communities. 

Defra and the RPA work with other government departments and the Local Enterprise Partnerships to address the key Government priority of growing the national economy.  Further information on the RDPE Growth Programme is available here.

Latest round of ERDF funding

Information is being updated regularly as new calls are announced by the Government. Further details are available here.

For further information on European Funding in Cumbria, please contact

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ