Licence - exotic dangerous and wild animals

A licence is required for any person keeping an exotic and dangerous wild animal if it is listed in the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 (Modification) Order schedule, and the animal is not kept in a zoo, circus, pet shop or laboratory. Veterinary inspections are undertaken on all new licences and renewals when deemed necessary. View more information and guidance notes.

To apply for a licence, you can either download the licence application from the downloadable documents section below or fill in our online electronic form and apply for a licence immediately. On the form you must state:
(a) Number and species of animal.
(b) The premises where the animal is to be held.
(c) That the applicant is not under 18 nor disqualified from keeping any dangerous wild animal.

The downloadable form must be returned with the licence fee. This does not cover any veterinary charges.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Microsoft Word formatApplication Form for Keeping Dangerous Wild Animals in Word format22 Kb3 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerApplication Form for Keeping Dangerous Wild Animals in PDF format47 Kb7 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerDangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 Modification No 2 Order 2007 List of Animals in PDF format50 Kb7 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Get Microsoft Word ViewerDownload Microsoft Word Viewer (external website). Microsoft Word Viewer allows you to view Word documents even if you don't have Word installed on your computer.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ