Licensing Changes

Licensing Changes at a Glance:
Previous Law Licensing Act 2003
Magistrates have responsibility for alcohol licensing
Local authorities responsible for all
alcohol and entertainments licensing
Separate licences for cinema, theatre, sale
of alcohol, public entertainment, etc
One premises licence to cover all
activities and no additional licence
costs for more than one activity
Individuals licensed to sell alcohol from
particular premises
Separate premises and portable
personal licence
Applicants for licences have to prove
themselves fit and proper
New applicants for personal licences
need to gain an accredited qualification
and undergo a Criminal Records
Bureau check
Public entertainment fees set by
individual local authorities
Fees set by Government for premises
and personal licences.
Two in a bar rule means that where more
then two artists perform, a public
entertainment licence is required
All public entertainment will require a
licence, but it will cost nothing to add
this to the list of activities undertaken
The law regarding children’s access to
licensed premises is confusing and
Children’s access will be the norm,
except where there is good reason for
them being excluded – balanced by
clear objective of protection of children
from harm
The law concerning consumption of
alcohol by under 18s in public places is
confusing and unrealistic. For example it
is legal to buy an alcoholic drink and give
it to a six year old in a pub garden
16 and 17 year olds will only be able to consume alcohol in pubs when it is
bought for them by someone 18 years
old or older, and is consumed with a
meal in the company of someone 18 or
Licences are required for tombolas or
raffles where alcohol is offered as a prize
Tombolas or raffles will be exempted
from the requirements for a licence in
most cases
Anyone wishing to hold a one-off event
must apply for an occasional permission
from the court
A new system of temporary permitted activities will allow extensions for
premises licences, (for example a big
sporting event or a wedding) and the
sale of alcohol by non-licence holders
within permitted limits after a simple notification
Anyone can sell alcohol in wholesale
quantities to the public without a licence
The exception for wholesale will only
apply to sales between business or to
personal or premises licence holders
There is broad discretion for licensing
authorities on the reason for making
licensing decisions
There will be four specific licensing
objectives on which all decisions in
relation to licensing applications must
be based
Alcohol can only be served within specific
limited permitted hours, subject to some extensions being obtained
Permitted hours will be abolished and
each licensed premises will chose its
own hours of opening, subject to
objections from others
Police powers to close relate only to
permanent on-licensed premises
Police powers to close premises
extended to all temporary events such
as one-off raves
Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ