Complaints and suggestions

Making a suggestion or compliment

We welcome suggestions and compliments about our services. You can use our online forms below to tell us what you think.

Send us a suggestion

Register a complaint

Send us a compliment

Making a complaint

If you wish to complain about a Council service please contact the department concerned in the first instance. You can use our email and telephone contact list to find the appropriate department.

If, after dealing directly with a department, you still have a complaint about a Council service or feel that you have been unjustly treated, then you can let the Council know via our formal complaints procedure.

Complaints procedure

  • If you are dissatisfied with something that the Council has done, let us know using the online complaints form.
  • Say clearly what was wrong and tell us what you think we should do to put things right.
  • Your complaint will be acknowledged within 3 working days.  We will tell you who is to investigate, how to get in touch with them, and when you may expect our response to your complain.
  • We will try to resolve your complaint within ten working days.  If this is not possible, we will tell you when you might expect the Council’s formal answer. We will stay in touch with you until we have answered your complaint.

When we investigate we may find that the Council has acted properly.  We shall explain the details.

If we have made a mistake or acted wrongly, we shall tell you. We will try to put matters right and we will work to ensure others do not have the same experience.

Complaint stages

Your complaint will be investigated in the first instance by the the department manager.

If you remain dissatisfied you must let us know within three weeks of receiving a response and your complaint will be escalated to the Head of Service with responsibility for the department you are making a complaint against or the Council’s Monitoring Officer, for review and response.

If you are not satisfied by the Council’s response, you may seek an independent review of your complaint by the Local Government Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman will expect you to have complained first to the Council, to give us the chance to make a response.  You should explain what has already happened and include copies of the Council’s responses with your complaint.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerComplaints policy in PDF format143 Kb20 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerOmbudsman Report 2014/15 in PDF format25 Kb4 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Excel formatOmbudsman report 2014/15 appendix in Excel format29 Kb4 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Excel formatOmbudsman report 2014/15 - appendix 2 in Excel format30 Kb4 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ