The Ombudsman

Unhappy with the way the council has dealt with your complaint?

Local Government Ombudsman logoThe Local Government Ombudsman is an independent organisation that investigates allegations of maladministration causing injustice to the person who has complained. The Ombudsman investigates complaints about most council matters including housing, planning, education, social services, and council tax.

The Ombudsman will expect you to have complained first to the Council, to give the Council the chance to make a response.  You should explain what has already happened and include copies of the Council’s responses with your complaint. 

Contact details of the Local Government Ombudsman Advice Team are:

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771

Tel: 0300 061 0614 or 0845 602 1983
Fax: 024 7682 0001

Text: "call back" to 0762 480 4323

The Local Government Ombudsman has a leaflet called Complain about the Council? How to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. You can get a copy by telephoning or writing to the address above, or you can download it from the Ombudsman's website.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ