Contact Information

 0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council,
Allerdale House,
CA14 3YJ


Road closure orders

When do you need a Road Closure Order?

Section 21 of the Town Police Clauses Act 1847 makes provision for the making of temporary road closure orders “in all times of public processions, rejoicings, or illuminations and in any case when the streets are thronged or liable to be obstructed…”

Accordingly,  Allerdale Borough Council may make orders to facilitate ‘rolling-road’ events such as parades, carnivals and processions as well as more ‘static’ community events such as ‘Christmas lights switch-on and street parties. For other types of road closure you may have to contact Cumbria County Council. 

More guidance is provided in the Council’s ‘Guidance for Event Organisers’ in the application form below. 

Copies of notice of applications can be found on our website below.

How do I apply for a Road Closure Order?

If you want to apply for a Road Closure you must complete and return a Closing Order Pro-forma with a cheque for £121.00 payable to ‘Allerdale Borough Council’.

How long before my event should I apply for a Road Closure Order?

You should aim to submit your application for a Road Closure Order to the Council no less than six weeks before the starting date of the event. In some cases, the closure may need to be dealt with under different legislation which would require it to be administered by the Highways Authority. Submitting your application in plenty of time will ensure that, should your closure need to be dealt with by the Highways Authority, there will be time for it to be processed by them.

What information will I need to provide?

  • The type, name and location of the event
  • The date(s) and times that the road(s) are required to be closed
  • Details of which streets are required to be closed, including a detailed map of the area concerned
  • Contact details of the event organiser
  • Details of any contractors appointed who must be qualified in Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8 (if applicable)
  • Detailed traffic management method statement and signing plan (using an appropriate scale)
  • Risk assessment

You are also required to have public liability insurance cover of £5 million before your application can be processed. You should include a copy of your public liability insurance schedule when you return your pro-forma.

What happens once I submit my application?

The Council will consult with the following organisations on your behalf. However, if you have any particular requirements you should consult with the relevant body yourself prior to completing the Closing Order pro-forma.

  • Highways Department, Cumbria County Council
  • Stagecoach North West
  • Cumbria Fire and Rescue Service, Workington Locality Office
  • Head of Legal Services, Cumbria County Council
  • Cumbria Ambulance Service, NHS Trust 
  • Relevant Officer in Charge of the Local Police Station
  • Local Parish/Town Council
  • Chamber of Trade (if applicable)

What else will I have to do?

  • You are required to consult with anyone who may be affected by the event such as residents or local businesses.
  • Depending on the size and nature of the event, you may also wish to consider advertising in a local newspaper.
  • You are responsible for ensuring that any requirements placed on you by the consultees are undertaken. 

You are also responsible for signage and any road closure barriers that may be required. Any signs or barriers errected should be done so in accordance with the requirements of Cumbria County Council as highway authority who require persons working in the highway to have ‘The Street Works Act unit 2 qualification’.  If you require any further information regarding signage for your event, please contact Cumbria County Council Highways department.

If you think that you may require a licence for any aspect for your event, please see our temporary event licence page.

When will I find out if I am successful?

If any objections come up during the consultation process we will advise you of these and put you in contact with the relevant body to resolve the issue.

Approximately 3 weeks before the event we confirm that your application has been successful and we will send you a Notice of Road Closure. This notice must be posted in the streets and surrounding affected areas at least 14 days before the event.

If you require any further information, please contact Democratic Services - Email: / Tel: 01900 702502.

Closing Orders and Consultations

A list of all current consultations and completed closing orders can be found here.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerTemporary Road Closure Application Form in PDF format187 Kb27 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ