Fire close upThere are no Byelaws about garden bonfires, however if it causes a statutory nuisance, then the Council can use the Environmental Protection Act 1990 to deal with this. You will need to show that the bonfire is a considerable nuisance i.e. if it is a regular occurrence or there is a lot of smoke. Barbecues can also be considered a nuisance, only if they are very regular and the smoke is very bad.

To submit a nuisance report you can do so on our 'myAllerdale' app. Alternatively, you can follow this link to report a nuisance online.

It is an offence for smoke from a bonfire to drift onto a public highway as stated in the Highways Acts. If this is the case, contact the police.

If a bonfire emits dark smoke - as defined by the Clean Air Act 1990 - then an immediate offence is committed and the Council can take action, including prosecution.

Alternatives to using bonfires for garden waste disposal include garden waste collection and composting.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ