Household waste collections

The council provides a weekly refuse collection service from domestic properties. We also collect recycling and garden waste from most areas.

Bin collections


Rubbish collection lorry on roundsFurther information

Additional services

The council provides additional services to assist residents with the collection of household refuse.

  • Assisted collections for household waste are available for residents who are unable to place their bin out for collection due to age, disability or other circumstances such as injury or illness.

  • Larger household refuse bins are available for families with more than one child in nappies or more than four in the family.

  • Point of storage collections are available in rural areas where bins are collected up to one mile away from the main highway or where access to the property is prohibitive.

To arrange for a Street Scene Officer to visit you and assess whether you qualify for one of these services please call us on the telephone number or email shown.

Severe weather disruptions

Collections may be cancelled or delayed during periods of severe weather. If your refuse or recycling collection has been disrupted due to snow, freezing conditions or other severe weather over the Christmas break, please leave your bins or sacks out and crews will attempt to return as soon as possible. See severe weather disruption for latest information.

Collection days may change during holiday periods, please consult our holiday refuse collection page for full details. Please leave bins out for collection at the edge of the property by 7am on day of collection. To find out if your property is included on the garden waste and paper recycling schemes please contact us on the email or telephone number shown. A missed bin collection can be reported after 3pm on the scheduled collection day using the missed bin form.

What we don't collect

  • Empty or left over paint tins: these can be taken to any Household Waste Recycling Centre (Civic Amenity Site) for disposal. Please do not take paint tins to supermarket recycling points. Alternatively, why not see if your friends or relatives can make use of the paint or donate it to a community project such as Community RePaint ( who use the leftover paint to support community projects.
  • Rubble: Rubble from domestic premises can be taken to any Household Waste Recycling Centres run by Cumbria County Council. The rubble must be bagged and must be light enough to be lifted by one person. Private contractors who hold a Waste Carriers Licence, should be contacted for the removal of larger amounts of rubble.
  • Bulky household waste: We can collect bulky items for a fee. Arrange a collection now using the bulky item collection form, email or telephone 01900 702800.
  • Hazardous waste: you may take hazardous waste to any County Council civic amenity site and give it to the attendant. Private waste contractors will deal with hazardous and special waste arising from a trade or business. Special precautions may be needed when disposing of and moving hazardous waste such as asbestos.

To find out more about ways to reduce your rubbish or the issue of rubbish in Cumbria please visit

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

 01900 702702
 01900 702507

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ