advertisement

Jane Pit

Where is it?

Jane pit is situated on the junction of Annie Pit Lane and Mossbay Road, Workington.

GR: NX995278

Access is not restricted in any way. You can view a location map. Links to local transport and roads information are also available.

What is it?

Jane PitJane Pit is a 19th century coal mine built by Henry Curwen, lord of the manor in Workington (see Workington Hall). It is situated adjacent to the Sports Ground at Mossbay in Workington. It contains the best surviving example of the ornate castellated style of colliery architecture that was a feature of the large landowner involvement in the Cumbrian coal industry during the nineteenth century. The site is a scheduled ancient monument.

The monument still retains what is believed to be a gin circle and a later steam engine house and therefore is a rare example of a coal mine that demonstrates the evolution of a horse-powered winding to steam power. The horse gin which provided an early means of raising coal up the shaft survives as a circular earthwork immediately to the south of the winding engine house. It originally had a stone-lined interior and was the location for a gin arm or pole powered by two horses that rotated a winding drum to raise coal up the shaft. This method of winding was replaced in 1843 when the owner, Henry Curwen, built the now roofless engine house to accommodate a steam-powered beam winding engine.

Jane Pit operated until the mid-1870s. The mine closed in 1875 when pumping was discontinued.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo

Gov.UK

Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ