How to make an application for building work

Islekirk Hall, Westward A Skelton (self build) barn conversion Highly Commended 2011 There are two methods of giving the required notice that you are going to carry out building work.

The first is by the deposit of detailed plans and specification of the work: this is known as "FULL PLANS". The plans are checked in detail and, if satisfactory, an approval notice is issued.

The second method is called "BUILDING NOTICE". This type of application is a simpler procedure, but cannot be used for commercial developments.  Basic details and the relevant fees are required. In this case plans are not checked and therefore an Approval Notice is not issued. Instead, work is allowed to commence with regular site inspections made at agreed stages of construction.

For clarification on which application type would be suitable for your project and for information on the fees to be paid, please contact the Building Control office.

Making an Application

A Full Plans submission should contain:

  • One completed application form. Building Regulations application form can be downloaded below.
  • One copy of the detailed drawings of the proposed building work. The plans should be drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100.
  • One copy of a site or location plan drawn to a scale of not less than 1:1250 upon which is shown the proposal, site boundaries and the position of the public sewers.
  • The appropriate fee. See Charging schedules.
  • Applications can also be made online using Planning Portal.

Unlike the Building Notice the Full Plans Application will be formally determined and an Approval will be issued.

A Building Notice submission should contain:

  • One completed application form. The Building Regulations application form can be downloaded below. Also:
  • If the proposal is for a new building or an extension the Notice should contain a site plan drawn to a scale of not less than 1:1250 upon which is shown the proposed site boundaries and the position of the public sewers.
  • Appropriate fee. See Charging schedules.

Warning - delays can occur to the smooth process of either type of application if the form is improperly completed, unsigned or undated.

Do my neighbours have the right to object to what is proposed in my Building Regulation application?

No. Whilst there is no requirement in the Building Regulations to consult neighbours, it can be courteous to do so. Objections may be raised under other legislation particularly if your proposal is subject to approval under the Town and Country Planning Acts.

Do I have to pay anything for the service?

Yes. A fee is payable to the local authority unless the work is exempt. Allerdale Building Control Department will advise you of the required fee, which will be subject to VAT.

Is there any difference in cost between a Full Plans Application and a Building Notice?

No. A Full Plans application involves a two-stage payment, one when you submit your plans (Plan Fee) and one following first inspection on site (Inspection Fee).

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerBuilding Regulations Application Form in PDF format1695 Kb4 mins 2 secs @ 56k, 7 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ