Conservation area consent

Castlegate, CockermouthConservation Area Consent is generally required where it is proposed to:
Part or wholly demolish any building in a Conservation Area.  Any object/structure fixed to a building or within its curtilage is to be treated as part of the building.

There are exceptions - Please consult Planning & Development Services direct

The Conservation Area Consent form can be downloaded below:

1. Plans

Four copies of all plans are required. The plans must include:

(i) Site/Location Plans

A4 Ordnance Survey extracts can be obtained from this office for £17.00. These are required so that the property can be accurately located in the department's records. The plans should not be less than 1:2500 scale and the boundary of the application site must be edged red. Any other land in the applicant's ownership or control must be edged blue.

(ii) Detailed drawings

Wherever possible drawings, of not less than 1:100 scale should accompany your application. These should indicate precisely which building(s) or part building(s) are to be demolished, the finished ground levels and materials used, etc. Note: where it is proposed to carry out redevelopment of a site you must, where planning permission for the new development is required, submit an application for consent at the same time. This will help to reduce delay in dealing with your application.

2. Advertising

The Local Planning Authority must advertise an application for Conservation Area Consent in a local newspaper and display a notice on site for 7 days.  The Authority must wait 21 days after the advertisement has appeared before the application is decided.  Any representations made on the application will be taken into account.

3. Certificate of ownership

All applications must include a Certificate of Ownership. If you are the owner or hold a lease with 7 years or more to run complete Certificate A.

If you are not the owner complete Certificate B and also the Notice No. 1 the Notice No. 1 should be detached and forwarded to the owner of the site.

If neither Certificate applies, i.e. you do not know who the owner of the site is then please contact Planning before submitting an application. Whichever Certificate is completed the signature of the applicant or agent and date must be given.

4. Fees

There are no fees for applications for Conservation Area Consent.

5. Any other information

The application forms and plans should give all the essential factual details about your proposal.  It may be that there is a background or other information relevant to the application.  Such information should be included in the form of a statement or a letter attached to the application.  The inclusion of such information is not only helpful to the processing of your application but may avoid delay through further information being sought from you after the application has been submitted.

6. Public inspection

Each application is open for inspection by the public.

In order to avoid delay in dealing with your application, ensure that you have:

(a) Completed of the application form;
(b) Completed the correct certificate of ownership;
(c) Edged the site in red on the site plans;
(d) Provided all other plans.

Building Regulations - In general, all forms of building and development require approval under the Building Regulations.  Fees are payable. Forms and advice are available from Building Control.

If in doubt about your application, or wish to discuss any aspect before formal submission, please contact Planning to make a prior appointment

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerConservation Area Consent form in PDF format32 Kb5 secs @ 56k, 0 secs @ 2mb
Microsoft Word formatConservation Area Consent form in Word format379 Kb54 secs @ 56k, 2 secs @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Get Microsoft Word ViewerDownload Microsoft Word Viewer (external website). Microsoft Word Viewer allows you to view Word documents even if you don't have Word installed on your computer.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ