Apply for householder development (works or alterations to a dwelling)

Planning permission may be required for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary/garden of a house. Projects that may require planning permission include:

  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Loft conversions
  • Dormer windows
  • Garages, car ports and outbuildings

Planning permission is not needed for all household building work. Under permitted development rules you can carry out a number of household building work projects, provided they meet certain limits and conditions. You can find out whether you need planning permission for your building project

You may also need to apply for planning permission if you property is covered by an Article 4 Direction or permitted development rights have been removed as part of a previous application on the property.

When you submit an application we prefer they are made via the Planning Portal.

Downloadable Documents

All documents open in a new window.
File nameSizeApproximate Download time
Adobe PDF format - download the viewerApplication form for householder development in PDF format218 Kb31 secs @ 56k, 1 sec @ 2mb

Get Adobe Acrobat ReaderDownload Acrobat PDF Reader (external website). Acrobat PDF Reader allows you to view PDF files.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ