Apply for planning permission

Planning portal logo for signpost pageThere are three main types of planning application: full, outline and reserved matters. More details on the type of application are below to help you decide which one is correct for you. When you submit an application we prefer they are made via the Planning Portal.


A full planning application requires the submission of all details of the proposal, usually including full floor plans and elevations. This is the most appropriate form where you wish to change the use of land or buildings.


An outline application should be made where you wish to find out whether the development is acceptable in principle before detailed drawings are needed. This type of application is best suited to larger applications where the principle of the development may be controversial rather than smaller applications such as house extensions.

Reserved Matters

A reserved matters application is for the approval of outstanding details e.g. layout, scale, appearance, access and landscaping following approval of an outline planning permission.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ