Apply to amend planning applications

Sometimes development proposals change, either while we are still considering a planning application or after it has been decided. Some minor changes can be dealt with as amendments to your current plans, while more significant changes may need to take the form of a new application.

Amending a current application

The plans or other documents submitted with a planning application may be amended during the determination process. This can happen if:

  • The applicant wants to change the proposals being considered
  • Planning officers might require an amendment in order to comply with policy, or to overcome a planning objection from a neighbouring property Planning portal logo for signpost page

We prefer to receive all such applications via the Planning Portal.

Sometimes if a requested amendment is not made, an application may be refused.

Amending a determined application

Applicants may want to change the proposals after they have received planning permission. Depending on the extent of the changes, this may result in one of three processes:

  • Substantial changes – may need a new planning application, for example an increase in floor area or number of dwellings;
  • Significant changes – may need a new application (known as a material minor amendment), for example elevational changes to a commercial building; or
  • Minor changes – may be dealt with by a shortened application process (known as a non-material amendments – formal form and plans are required, but not the supporting documentation), for example moving a window on a domestic extension. This process should take about 28 days as we do not re-consult neighbouring properties.
Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ