Do I need planning permission?

Planning Portal

Is it permitted development?

You can make certain types of development and alterations to your house without needing to apply for planning permission these are called ‘permitted development rights’. For advice on permitted development rights, including useful mini-guides, check out the Planning Portal - do you need permission? 


Constraints that may affect the need for Planning Permission.

In some instances constraints relating to your property may affect the need for planning permission. Please follow the link to ‘My Property’ search, here you can see if any of the following constraints are applicable to your property – Listed Buildings, Permitted Development Rights Removed, Conservation Area, AONB, World Heritage Site, SSSI, Article 4.


Certificate of lawfulness applications

If you would like a formal written determination as to whether a planning application is required you will need to submit an application for a Proposed Lawful Development Certificate - Proposed Use. A fee is payable for these applications.


Even if building work does not need planning permission you may have to meet the Building Control Regulations.

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ