Health and Safety at Work

Health and safety law only applies where there is a work activity. Enforcement of these laws is carried out by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE)and local council officers depending on the type of business. As a general rule the HSE cover manufacturing, education, local government, agriculture and construction where the local council cover leisure activities, shops, catering establishments, offices and warehousing. If you are unsure who will enforce over your business visit Health and Safety Enforcing Authority.

What would you like to do?

I would like to make a health and safety complaint about a business/where I work

I would like an advisory visit from a health and safety officer

What would you like to know?

Current advice – advice for autumn

Advice for New Business

Accidents at work

Asbestos at work


Animal contact

Swimming pools and spa pools

Skin piercing and tattooing

The Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel

The Independent Regulatory Challenge Panel will look into complaints regarding advice given by HSE or Local Authority inspectors about health and safety which you think is incorrect or goes beyond what is required to control the risk adequately.

The panel will consist of independent members who will have the competence and experience to assess advice that has been given on regulatory matters.

Before you raise an issue with the panel, you should have first tried to resolve the matter with the relevant HSE or Local Authority inspector and their manager. 

Carlisle City Council logo   Cumbria County Council

Copeland District Council logo   Eden District Council logo


Contact us

0303 123 1702

Allerdale Borough Council
Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria,
CA14 3YJ