We'll soon be making changes to the way recycling is collected, and we'll be delivering bins and boxes to households in preparation for this. Find out more.
Local elections - May 2019
Find out more about the local elections on 2 May 2019, including how to register to vote and how to apply for a postal or proxy vote.
We can offer support with managing budgets. If you are claiming Universal Credit, you will be allocated a work coach by the Jobcentre who will refer you to us. If you are claiming Housing Benefit, you are not able to seek a tailored budget plan from the Council.
- Council Tax Reduction to help pay your Council Tax
- Extra help with housing costs (known as Discretionary Housing Payments) to help pay your rent
- See if you can cut your energy costs by switching suppliers - join The Big Allerdale Switch
Other useful tips and numbers - energy, water and rent bills
- Some energy companies offer a Warm Homes Discount scheme. Contact your energy company to find out if you are eligible.
- You may want to consider installing a water or credit meter. If you are having problems paying your utility bills, contact your supplier straight away and they may be able to offer options payment.
- Energy Efficiency Advice from OfGem
- Speak to your landlord, or if you’re making debt repayments, speak to your creditors, to explain your situation and ask them to accept a later payment once your Universal Credit payment comes through.
- If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax bill, contact us and we may be able to help you
If you’re facing losing your home: ring us on 0303 123 1702 and we may be able to help.
Help with food and clothing costs
- Emergency food from the Food Bank: 01900 604735 or 01900 872547
- Free school meals and clothing vouchers from Cumbria County Council: 01228 221133
Help if you claim Universal Credit
- Financial Help from Universal Credit
- A short-term advance of Universal Credit
- An interest-free loan
- Longer-term alternative payment arrangements
- Energy and water bills
- Fuel Direct deductions from Universal Credit
Debt advice is available from:
- PayPlan: 0800 280 2816
- Debt Advice Foundation: 0800 622 6151
- National Debtline: 0808 808 4000
- The Money Advice Service
- Affinity (the West Cumbria Credit Union) can also provide loans at a lower-rate of interest than door-step-lenders and pay-day loan providers.
Please don't suffer and ignore any bills you are struggling to pay. Speak to one of our customer service advisors or the Citizens Advice Bureau for help and advice