Skip to main content
Garden waste collections

The council and our waste collection partners Allerdale Waste Services would like to apologise for the issues which have affected some properties' garden waste collections this week. The issues have been caused by self-isolation and other staff absences. 

The advice for households who've not had their collection this week is to take bins back in and present them on their next scheduled garden waste collection day.

Households are advised to continue checking our website and social media accounts for the latest information on collections.


England has moved into Step 4 from 19 July 2021

• See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and our services.

• Help and advice for affected businesses, charities and other organisations.

• Advice for individuals including the Test and Trace Support payment to help those self-isolating.

• Our customer contact centres have reopened to public on an appointment-only basis. However, please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us where possible. Contact us link includes details on how to book an appointment. 

Extra help with housing costs

Every year, the council has a limited amount of money to help residents who need extra financial help to meet their housing costs. Discretionary payments can help if somebody is having difficulty paying their rent. People who receive Housing Benefit or the housing element of Universal Credit can apply for help.

A Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) is not a benefit payment. The total weekly amount of any award, including your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs, will not normally be more than your actual eligible rent.

DHPs cannot be paid in respect of ineligible service charges (such as water rates, fuel charges, meals) or Council Tax costs.

Who can claim Discretionary Housing Payments?

Discretionary Housing Payments are available if you are already entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit housing costs and the council is satisfied that you require additional financial assistance to meet your housing costs.

This may be because:

  • You have exceptional additional housing costs
  • Your Housing Benefit or Universal Credit has been reduced due to the benefit cap
  • You are a social tenant and deemed to be under occupying your home
  • You are a private tenant and your rent is restricted due to a rent officer decision or the local housing allowance

How to apply

Information we need to know:

You must tell us why you think you need extra help to meet your housing costs. Include information such as:

  • Any disabilities or illnesses you or a member of your family may have
  • How your disability or illness may affect you financially (for example, extra costs) or prevent you from moving
  • Income and spending, including debts
  • Any change in your circumstances which makes it more difficult for you to meet the shortfall
  • What would happen if you lost your home
  • Any other special circumstances

We may ask to see any reasonable evidence to support your claim.  

Apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment

How is it assessed?

We look at each case individually based on each person's circumstances. We will write to you to tell you whether or not your claim has been successful.

An award may be made for a short period to give you time to sort out your financial circumstances. In any cases where there is no precise period by which your circumstances will improve, an award may still be made.  

How will it be paid?

We will pay it with your Housing Benefit. If you are in receipt of Universal Credit housing costs, we will make payments separately.  This may be to you or to your landlord.

What if you disagree with our decision?

You do not have the right of appeal if we turn down your claim but you can ask us to look at the decision again. This is called a review.

Changes you must tell us about

You must tell us about anything you think might affect your entitlement to Discretionary Housing Payments or your entitlement to Housing Benefit. You must do this within one month of the change taking place. You must tell us in writing about any changes; a telephone call is not enough.

If you would like to talk to us about Housing Benefits you can contact us via email  or telephone our Customer Services team on  0303 123 1702

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options