Skip to main content

The current local alert level for Allerdale is Medium. Find out what this, and other alert levels, mean.

See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities and individuals including the Test and Trace Support payment. There is also advice on how to open your business and shop, safely. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our Wigton office is open by appointment only - call 0303 123 1702 to book an appointment to speak to a customer service advisor.


Test and Trace Support Payments

The government has announced a new national Test and Trace Support scheme.

If you are working, on a low-income and are required to self-isolate, you could be eligible for a £500 payment

Under the new scheme, payments of £500 will be available for individuals who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, providing that their period of self-isolation started on or after 28 September 2020.  

The Test and Trace Support Payment is available to those receiving Universal Credit; Working Tax Credit; Income-Based Employment and Support Allowance; Income-Based Jobseeker’s Allowance; Income Support; Housing Benefit; and/or Pension Credit.

If you have been told by NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, are working or self-employed and will lose income, you may be entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment.

Anyone that meets the eligibility criteria and is told to self-isolate will be able to claim.

Applications for support must be made within 14 days of the end of a period of self-isolation at the latest and the scheme is available until 31 January 2021.

In addition to this payment there are other financial support schemes .

Who can get the Test and Trace Support Payment?

To be eligible for the new Test and Trace Support Payment, you must:

  • Have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has;
  • Be employed or self-employed;
  • And be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result;
  • Be currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.

Do also check who isn't eligible.

Is there a discretionary payment for those who do not meet all of these criteria?

Yes. Discretionary support may be available if you do not receive one of the benefits listed but are on a low income and will face financial hardship because you are unable to work while self-isolating. However, you must still meet the following criteria.

  • You must have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for COVID-19, or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. 
  • You must have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 28 September 2020. 
  • You must be employed or self-employed, working more than 16 hours per week and earning less than £372pw before deductions
  • You must be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of having to stay at home and self-isolate. 

Do also check who isn't eligible.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period).
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
  • Were required to self-isolate before the support scheme began on Monday 28 September 2020.
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.

How much is the payment and will it be taxed?

You may be supported by a lump sum payment of £500. This payment will be subject to income tax. It will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

How long will this be in place for?

The scheme will run until 31 January 2021.

How do I apply?

Apply online using online form. The link is below.

Applications can be backdated from the launch date on Monday 28 September.

What you will need to provide:

Before you start collate the necessary documentation. 

You will need the following information to complete the form:

  •  A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last two months which must clearly show proof of earnings);
  • Proof of employment, or self-employment e.g. recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
  • Proof of the Account ID you have received from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate.
  • Your National Insurance Number.


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

Appy for the Test and Trace Support payment

Use our online form to apply for the payment. This will open in a new browser. You may have to open a myAllerdale account which will mean you will receive confirmation of your application by email.

You will be able to upload documents to accompany your application.

Apply now

What happens after an application has been submitted?

The government is supporting local councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

We will review your application and carry out the necessary checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax purposes, and NHS Test and Trace to confirm your self-isolation status.

If we are able to verify your entitlement, we will contact you to confirm when you will receive your payment.

Applicants who are overdrawn

If your nominated bank account is overdrawn, the bank is not allowed to use this payment to repay your overdraft. But you'll need to contact your bank directly as soon as possible to protect the payment. This protection is called a 'First Right of Appropriation of Funds Order'.

Tell your bank that a deposit of £500 from Allerdale Borough Council is a self-isolation payment. Here's an example of what you should say:

'On or around October 15th, my Test and Trace Support Payment will be paid into my current account number (for example, 01010101). I am exercising my first right of appropriation over these funds.'

Keep a record of any correspondence with your bank or building society in case there are any problems later. Examples of correspondence might include: letters, emails, records of live-chats (you can usually get these sent to you via email), or if you speak on the phone or in person, make notes of times and dates, the names of anyone you speak to, and what you talk about.

What are the penalties for not self-isolating?

As well as new support measures, from 28 September, you could also be fined if you do not stay at home and self-isolate following a positive test result for COVID-19, or if you are contacted by NHS Test and Trace and instructed to self-isolate because you are a contact of someone who has had a positive test result.

From this date, if you test positive for COVID-19, it will also be an offence to knowingly provide false information about your close contacts to NHS Test and Trace.

Failure to comply with these requirements may result in a fine of up to £10,000.