Skip to main content
Government's £150 rebate scheme

Eligible households across Allerdale will begin to receive their £150 energy cost council tax rebate from today (Thursday 12 May). 
More than 40,000 households will receive a one-off payment, with the first batch of payments for those in council tax bands A to D who pay for their council tax via direct debit.
There are some households whose Direct Debit details have not been verified and these will follow on as soon as possible. Households who don’t pay by direct debit will receive letters containing information on how they can collect the rebate from their local post office in the coming weeks. 

Find out more about the rebate scheme.

What does my Council Tax pay for? 

 Council Tax is paid by the occupier or owner of a domestic property and helps pay for a wide range of public services. The money you pay contributes towards services delivered by Allerdale Borough Council, Cumbria County Council, the Police and Crime Commissioner for Cumbria and parish councils. 

Although you pay your Council Tax to Allerdale Borough Council, we act as a Tax Collector (billing authority) for all of these authorities.

Allerdale Borough Council and your local parish council work out the cost of providing the services you need each year. This determines how much your Council Tax bill will be.

The main source of income from Council Tax goes on major services including:

  • Children's social care 
  • Waste collection and processing
  • Support for the elderly and vulnerable
  • Schools, education and youth services
  • Preventing homelessness through social housing
  • Maintaining carparks and open spaces
  • Roads, highways and street lighting maintenance
  • Planning and building control services
  • Coroners, registrars, courts and elections
  • Street cleaning and flood defences

Council Tax contributions broken down per band

Council Tax contributions broken down per band, 2022-2023
Council Tax bandAllerdale Borough Council £Cumbria County Council £PCC For Cumbria £Total £
Band A (Up to £40,000)119.811,018.66188.101,326.57
Band B (£40,001- £52,000)139.781,188.45219.451,547.68
Band C (£52,001-£68,000)159.751,358.22250.801,768.77
Band D (68,001-£88,000)179.721,528.00282.151,989.87
Band E (£88,001-£120,000)219.661,867.55344.852,432.06
Band F (£120,001-£160,000)259.602,207.11407.552,874.26
Band G (£160,001-£320,000)299.532,546.66470.253,316.44
Band H (£320,001 and over)359.443,056.00564.303,979.74