Coronavirus: Update on council meetings and events
As part of the council’s management plan in response to the coronavirus situation and in light of the guidance from the government, the following decisions have been taken with regards to upcoming committee meetings. These are:
- The Executive meeting will take place today (18 March 2020). Officers in attendance will be at a minimum and we will be following the Government guidance on social distancing and keeping hands and surfaces clean.
- Following a discussion with the chair of Harrington Harbour and Dock Board the meeting on Friday 20th March has been postponed and will be re-arranged in due course.
- Following a discussion with the chair of Scrutiny the Scrutiny Task and Finish Groups and the Scrutiny Committee meetings in March and April have been cancelled.
- We are waiting for further government guidance in respect of the Development Panel meetings in April and May and the Annual General Meeting in May. A statement on these will be issued once a decision is known.
Here is the council's position on events and our funding of them at the moment:
- As the current advice from central government is to cancel or postpone all mass gatherings, we have taken the decision to suspend the allocation of the small festivals and events grant scheme. We appreciate that this is a difficult time but our priority is the protection of our communities and visitors. If you intend to hold your event in 2021, please let us know and we will defer your application until then.
- In regards to Taste Cumbria, at this time it is impossible for us to make a decision about that event (scheduled for September). However, we have managed to produce a very successful festival within a short space of time before, so we have every intention to do the same again should it be possible. We understand the importance of these events to the businesses and people who support them and will make every effort to keep people informed with the information we have available. In the meantime, we are working on ways to support businesses where we can. More details will be available soon.
- In regards of general events, in order to protect our communities we are in support of the cancellation of events and mass gatherings. We are also aware of the impact this has, and we are working very hard to try and come up with ways in which we can try and help our businesses and communities in a time of social distancing and isolation. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, please contact Anna Chippendale on email@example.com.