Skip to main content

£300 fly-tipping fine issued to resident

Jonathan Irving

Jonathan Irving

Posted on 27 April 2021

Our enforcement team has issued a fixed penalty notice for fly-tipping to a local resident whose waste was dumped after they got an unknown person off Facebook to take it away.

The fine of £300 was issued last week after the items were discovered dumped near to a commercial premises in the Derwent Road area of Workington.

We all have a legal responsibility, called duty of care, to ensure that our rubbish is passed on to an authorised person so that it can be disposed of safely. In this case, the resident failed in their duty of care.

Before using a private collector to come and get your unwanted items make sure they are licensed to do so and if they are, make sure they provide you with a waste transfer note. Permits are granted by the Environment Agency and you can search for local permit holders on their website:

You can also request a bulky waste collection from the council or take your goods to a Household Waste Recycling Centre.

More information on getting rid of unwanted items properly can be found at: