Close Coronavirus

See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities and individuals. There is also advice if you are reopening your business and shopping safely. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our offices remain closed to the public. 

Close Safari browser users

We are aware of an issue for those using the Safari browser to view our website, which affects some of the online forms. If you are using Safari to access one of our online forms and see an error message, we recommend using another browser such as Chrome. Our contractor is working on a solution to the issue. Apologies for any inconvenience.


Which rubbish, which bin?

Allerdale Borough Council is committed to reducing the waste produced in the borough by encouraging recycling as much as possible. Below is some guidance of how you can separate you waste and recycle as much as possible.

Please leave bins or bags out for collection at the edge of the property before 7am on the day of collection. Please leave them out throughout the day as the crews may not come to your house at the same time each week.

Household waste

The council provides a refuse service from domestic properties. This waste is usually collected in a 120 litre black bin, but you may have another type. These are collected weekly.

If you feel you need a larger bin, as you have young children in nappies for instance, then you can request one from us.

Yes please

  • Household waste items which are non recyclable
  • Non recyclable films and plastics
  • Tetrapaks (they can't be recycled)
  • Unrecyclable food packaging
  • Tin foil
  • Fish and meat bones
  • Food waste you don't compost
  • Tea and coffee grounds

No thanks

  • Rubble
  • Hazardous waste
  • Empty or leftover paint tins

Black sacks

Properties which are not suitable for wheeled bins are allowed to have up to three black sacks collected each week. The contractor will leave replacement sacks (up to three) equivalent to the number of sacks collected.

Please leave bins or bags out for collection at the edge of the property before 7am on the day of collection. Please leave them out until 5pm, as the crews may not come to your house at the same time each week.

When is my household waste collected?

To check you household waste collection day use our bin collection calendar.

Report a missed bin collection.

Glass, cans and plastic recycling

We collect glass, cans and plastics in either a green bin, or a black box depending on where you live. There are also a number of recycling points where you can put this recycling.

What can I put into my glass, cans and plastic recyling?

Yes please

  • All types/colours of glass bottled and jars
  • All metal food cans and pet food cans (steel or aluminium)
  • Metal aerosol cans
  • Plastic screw top bottles (including cleaning products) - please remove the tops and put them in the bag too
  • Yogurt pots and food trays

No thanks

  • Broken glass, panes of glass, glass cooking pots, drinking glasses
  • Light bulbs
  • Plastic film (Cling film type)
  • Toothpaste tubes
  • Tetrapaks (they can't be recycled)
  • Paint pots
  • Tin foil
  • chemicals
  • Explosives
  • Batteries
  • Ink cartridges

I need another black box

You have the option to request an additional black box by filling in the eForm below.

Request an additional black box

When and where should I put out my recycling?

Bins and boxes should be placed out for collection at the front of your property by 7am on collection day.

What day is my glass, cans and plastic collected?

To check your collection days check our bin collection calendar.

There are also a number of places where plastic, paper, metal and glass can be deposited for recycling. The Household Waste Recycling Centres also take this sort of waste.

Report a missed bin collection

Paper and card recycling

Blue lidded wheelie bins or green hessian sacks are used to collect paper and card and are collected every four weeks.

What can I put in the paper waste?

Yes please

  • Any clean, dry paper or card
  • Envelopes
  • Leaflets
  • Newspapers

No thanks

  • Tetrapaks
  • Waxy paper
  • Films or plastic

When and where should I put out my blue lidded paper bin or green hessian sack?

If you use green hessian sacks they should be placed out for collection at the front of your property by 7am on collection day.

This generally applies to terraced properties even though refuse bins may be collected from the lane. Placing the sacks at the front will ensure residents receive any replacement sacks they may need as well as making collections much more efficient.  

If you use a blue lidded paper bin it should be left in the same place as your household waste bin for collection.

When is paper recycling collected?

To check your paper and card bin collection day use our bin collection calendar.

I've got too much paper recycling

Find out where the nearest recycling centre is to your home.

You can also request another green hessian sack from us. Just use the form below:

Request another green hessian sack

Has your bin been missed?

Use the form below to report a missed bin.

Report a missed bin collection

Garden waste

Garden waste is collected in large green bins. We do not charge for this service.

Garden waste collections resume- May 2020

What can I put in my garden bin?

Yes please 

  • Grass cuttings
  • Branches and leaves
  • Dead flowers

Shake as much soil off as possible. If the bin is too heavy it may break and end up in the back of the lorry.

No thanks

  • Soil and rubble
  • Plant pots and trays
  • Kitchen and vegetable waste
  • Please don't bag the waste up - any plastic will contaminate the waste.

You can compost your peelings in a compost bin. More information about compost bins and the availability of special deals can be found on the Cumbria County Council website.

I have a big garden can I have more than one garden bin?

We can only provide you with one garden waste bin. If you have more garden waste you can take it to the Household Waste Recycling Centres.

You can also get a compost bin, often at a reduced price, from Recycle for Cumbria.

When is my garden waste collected?

To check your garden waste bin collection dates use our bin collection calendar.

Report a missed bin collection

Hazardous waste

Hazardous waste regulations mean that you must not put the below into your household waste bin:

  • Oil filters
  • Antifreeze
  • Brake fluid
  • Spent oils
  • Lead acid batteries
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Paint
  • Certain electrical goods
  • TV and computer monitors
  • Fridges and freezers
  • Infectious clinical waste
  • Asbestos

What should I do with hazardous waste items?

You should take hazardous waste to any County Council Civic Amenity site and should check what the site is able to accept before travelling.

Private waste contractors will deal with hazardous and special waste arising from a trade or business.

Special precautions are needed when disposing of and moving hazardous waste such as asbestos.

Allerdale Borough Council offers a bulky item collection service to householders within the borough for a charge. The council will arrange collection and disposal of bulky household items (e.g. beds, wardrobes, three piece suites) and white goods (e.g. fridges, freezers, cookers).


We provide a chargeable service to collect chemicals from households as they are regarded as hazardous household waste.

If the chemical is in containers and identifiable as safe to move, our contractor will carry out the collection. If the chemical is unidentifiable, and therefore deemed to be potentially dangerous we may sub contract to a specialist waste company who have the equipment and necessary skills to deal with the chemicals and their safe removal.

Contact us to discuss the safe removal of chemicals from your property.


Assisted collections

Assisted collections for household waste are available for residents who are unable to place their bin out for collection due to age, disability or other circumstances such as injury or illness. Register for this service using the form below. 

Rural collections

Point of storage collections are available in rural areas where bins are collected up to one mile away from the main highway or where access to the property is prohibitive.

Apply for Assisted or Rural collections