Skip to main content


Brigham Cemetery

A view of Brigham Cemetery

Brigham cemetery was opened in 1964 and is next to Brigham church, which can been seen from the A66 travelling form Workington to Cockermouth. It is the newest and smallest cemetery in the borough having had more than 500 burials.

ADDRESS: St Bridget's Church, Brigham, near Cockermouth CA13 0XH

OPENED: 1964

The cemetery is still open for burials.

More details can be found at the website St Bridget's Church, Brigham


Go to Bereavements page

Cockermouth Cemetery

A red squirrel perches on a headstone at Cockermouth Cemetery

Cockermouth Cemetery opened 1856 and has a mixture of lawn, traditional, cremated remains and meadow burial areas. There are more than 14,000 burials in the cemetery.

ADDRESS: Lorton Road, Cockermouth CA13 9DU

OPENED: 1856

The cemetery is still open for burials.

Notable people buried in Cockermouth Cemetery include:

  • William Davidson, who was governor of the Cockermouth Union Workhouse for 22 years and died aged 68. He was buried on November 19, 1865
  • Robinson Mitchell, who was the founder of Mitchell’s Auction Co. which was established in 1873 as a multi-discipline firm serving the needs of the local community as auctioneers of livestock, furniture and fine arts as well as providing land and estate agency services
  • Wilfred Jackson, who was a proprietor of J.B. Banks and Son. J. Banks was started by John Banks in 1836. His son, also John, joined to make J. B. Banks & Son and it became a limited company on January 5, 1933.

Go to Bereavements page

Dearham Cemetery

Dearham Cemetery, at Janet Brow, Dearham, opened in 1952 and is the second newest cemetery in the borough. It holds the second fewest burials, at just over 800. It is a lawn cemetery with areas for full and cremated remains burials.

ADDRESS: Row Brow, Dearham

OPENED: 1952

The cemetery is still open for burials.

Go to Bereavements page

Flimby Cemetery

View of Flimby Cemetery

More than 100 years old, Flimby was opened in 1893 and is the third oldest cemetery in the region. There have been 3,600 burials to date. The cemetery lies off Church Road, Flimby and has areas for full and cremated remains burials.

ADDRESS: Church Road, Flimby, CA15 8TG

OPENED: 1893

The cemetery is still open for burials.

Go to Bereavements page

Harrington Road Cemetery, Workington

The main cemetery for the town of Workington, Harrington Road opened in 1879.

Although not the largest in terms of land area, Harrington Road holds the most burials of any cemetery in the region at over 23,000. This is due to many of the graves holding 3 or 4 people unlike Cockermouth, the largest cemetery in terms of area, with most holding one or two.

ADDRESS: Harrington Road, Workington

OPENED: 1879

The cemetery is still open for burials.

Charles Litt was the first person to be buried in Harrington Road cemetery on February 19, 1879, aged 65.

In the “description of person buried” in the burial register he is described as a “gentleman”. He died on February 15, 1879 at Stainburn, and is buried with his wife, Jane, who died on April 28, 1888, aged 64.

Go to Bereavements page

Maryport (Bank End Cemetery)

Situated out of town on Allonby Road, Maryport cemetery was opened in the same year as Cockermouth Cemetery (1856), making it the joint oldest cemetery in the region.

As official burial records only begin in 1876, the precise number of people interred within its grounds cannot be known exactly. However, it is estimated at 23,000, the second highest behind Harrington Road in Workington.

The cemetery has lawn, traditional, meadow and dedicated cremated remains burial areas.

ADDRESS: Allonby Road, Maryport

OPENED: 1856

The cemetery is still open for burials.

Notable people buried or commemorated in Maryport Cemetery include:

  • Humphrey Pockington Senhouse, who died at the age of 60 and was buried on December 24, 1903. The Senhouse name is a famous one in Maryport due to landowner Humphrey Senhouse. Humphrey Senhouse entered Maryport into the record books when he obtained an Act of Parliament in 1749 to develop a new town and harbour
  • William Harrison was born in Maryport in 1812. He became the commander of the Great Eastern, which when built was the largest vessel in the world and the first ship constructed of iron. The captain was drowned at Southampton and to respect his memory, the people of Maryport subscribed and erected a monument inside the cemetery
  • Wilfred and Alfred Hine founded the Holme Shipping Line in 1873 and can be thanked for helping to give the town prestige and prosperity. Alfred Hine was buried in Maryport cemetery aged 61 years on September 19, 1902.

Go to Bereavements page

Salterbeck Cemetery, Workington

Salterbeck cemetery was opened in 1924 and is next to Salterbeck Road, Workington. It holds a similar number of burials to Cockermouth cemetery - 14,000. The cemetery has lawn, cremated remains and traditional burial areas.

ADDRESS: Salterbeck Road, Workington

OPENED: 1924

The cemetery is still open for burials.

Go to Bereavements page

Causewayhead Cemetery, Silloth

Silloth cemetery has been open since 1932 and holds 2,000 burials. Within the cemetery there is a specific area to commemorate the war dead of the Second World War. Included in this section are members of the Royal Air Force situated at Silloth.

ADDRESS: Causewayhead, Silloth

OPENED: 1932

The cemetery is still open for burials.

Go to Bereavements page