New Additional Restrictions Grant (discretionary) scheme launched for businesses in Alllerdale
Eligible businesses in Allerdale that are affected by the government’s actions to stem the spread of coronavirus through the new national restrictions, can now apply for financial support through a new cash grant scheme.
The Additional Restrictions Grant scheme is designed to help those businesses unable to benefit from the Local Restrictions Support Grant which is available to those who pay business rates, and have been forced to close due to the coronavirus restrictions imposed between 5 November and 2 December.
The Additional Restrictions Grant is funded by the government but allows Allerdale Borough Council, who is administering it, some discretion on the eligibility criteria.
This means the scheme is available to the following businesses and organisations:
Businesses required to close but not in the rates system or are not the ratepayer and are therefore not eligible for the LRSG - for example:
- B&Bs and self-catering holiday cottages which pay Council Tax rather than business rates.
- Personal Care services such as hairdressers, beauty therapists, who either operate mobile, at home, or in a shared space that is legally required to close, where these businesses are not the direct business ratepayer.
- Market traders who do not sell essential goods as outlined in government legislation. Those who sell essential goods may also be eligible where their regular market has been cancelled by organisers and they are unable to attend.
- Businesses that supply the retail, hospitality, and leisure sectors. This should not include businesses where supply to supermarkets accounts for 50% or more of their business.
- Any other business not covered above that can remain open but is able to demonstrate that they have been severely impacted by the latest round of restrictions only. The council considers severely impacted to be at least 50% of business to have been lost as a result of restrictions.
- Charities and town and parish councils are eligible to apply where the application relates to trading activity at a specific premises.
Grants of between £1,334 and £3,000 are available for each four-week period of restrictions, depending on the fixed premises costs of the business or organisation.
Applications should be made via the online form at; https://www.allerdale.gov.uk/en/coronavirus/coronavirus-business-grants-claims/. Applicants are urged to read the full policy document before applying.
The form is built within the council’s myAllerdale online system which means that those already with a login do not need to register again. It also means that users get email updates on their application, as well as access to a suite of other online forms and information.
Once received, the council aims to process applications as soon as possible. Applicants are reminded to have all necessary documentation accessible before starting on their application, which could include details of their premises costs. More details are available on the council’s website.
Anyone with any queries, should speak to the council’s customer service team on 0303 123 1702.