Duty to Refer and Self-Referral
From 1 October 2018 all public authorities have a ‘Duty to Refer’ cases of homelessness, or those threatened with homelessness, to a local housing authority. The list of public authorities includes the following agencies:
- Prison (public and private)
- Youth Offender Institutes
- Secure training centres
- Secure colleges
- Youth offending teams
- Probation Service
- Jobcentre Plus
- A&E services provided by hospitals
- Urgent treatment centres
- Hospitals in their capacity of providing in-patient treatment
- Social services authorities
- the Secretary of State for Defence in relation to members of the regular forces
You can refer someone, or refer yourself, to the Housing Option teams in the following ways:
To make a referral by telephone, please contact 01900 702660 .
Alternatively, if you would like provide your details online use the link below and someone will be in touch with you to discuss the matter further.
Refer a Housing Options enquiry
Or, if you represent a public authority (as specified above) you can download a Referral Form and send it via email to email@example.com.