Skip to main content

Personal licence

All sales of alcohol must be made by, or under the authority of, a Personal Licence Holder.  Though this does not apply to qualifying Clubs or Premises operating under a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) .  

Not everyone who makes a sale has to hold a Personal Licence, so long as a Personal Licence Holder has authorised the sale. 

This licence is obtained independently of the Premises Licence.  Following the grant of a Personal Licence it is valid anywhere in the country unless it has been revoked in court.  The licence remains valid indefinitely and any changes must be notified to the original Licensing Authority, which in this area is us.

Licensing policy

The Licensing Act 2003 requires Allerdale Borough Council as the Licensing Authority, to prepare and publish a statement of Licensing Policy. The policy sets out principles that the Council generally applies to promote the licensing objectives when making decisions on applications made under this act. Click the link below to download the policy.

Statement of Licensing Policy 2021-2026

Why should you apply for a Personal Licence?

Every supply of alcohol under the premises license must be made or authorised by a Personal Licence holder. This means that even if a premises has a premises licence, alcohol cannot be served if a Personal Licence holder is not named as the Designated Premises Supervisor on the premises licence and if that person has not authorised the sale of alcohol.

To apply for, or change, a Personal Licence, read through the FAQs below and then click on the relevant application below. 

Remember that the Personal Licence register is available to the public to search and view. You can find it on our register page .

More information can be found on the Gov.UK website

Do all alcohol serving staff need a personal licence?

No, the only person at alcohol-serving premises who must have a personal licence is the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). However, it would be advisable for each premise to have at least one other personal licence holder in the case of accident or prolonged absence of the DPS at all times.

What is a Designated Premises Supervisor?

All premises operating under a Premises Licence to sell or supply alcohol must appoint a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) for the premises. Any premises where alcohol is supplied under a Premises Licence must have a DPS. They will be named in the Premises Licence, a summary of which must be displayed on the premises.   The DPS will be singularly responsible for the running of the premises. You should therefore choose this person with care.
Applicants must nominate the DPS on their application form.  This person does not have to be on the premises at all times, but they must take responsibility for what happens there.  This means the DPS should ensure any staff they appoint are appropriately trained in the requirements of the Licensing Act 2003 and of any specific conditions attached to the Premises Licence.
A person cannot become a DPS unless he is also a Personal Licence Holder. See our  Premises Licence section for further details and an application form 

Does the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) have to be on the premises at all times when  alcohol is being sold?

No, in some cases this will not physically be possible. However, it will be expected that the DPS will spend a significant amount of time on the premises. It is essential that the DPS is contactable at all times, particularly when problems arise on the premises.
The Act and Guidance requires DPS’s and Personal Licence Holders to have responsibility for the sale and supply of alcohol because of its impact on the wider community, crime and disorder and anti-social behaviour. As this carries greater responsibility than that which is associated with the provision of regulated entertainment and late night refreshment it is expected that more rigorous stringent controls are in place. A Personal Licence Holder can supervise the sale of and authorise such sales and supplies.
Any premises at which alcohol is sold or supplied may employ more than one Personal Licence Holder. For example, there may be members of staff who hold Personal Licences as well as the owner or senior manager.

Can anyone object to a person who is specified as a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)?

Only the Chief Officer of Police will be able to make representations about the specification of any DPS if he feels, in the exceptional circumstances of the case, that the crime prevention objective could be undermined by that specification. This could include fears that the DPS would not be able to fulfil the responsibilities in respect of the crime prevention objective for more than one premises at the same time. Where the Chief Officer of Police makes representations about the DPS, the Licensing Authority must hold a hearing to consider them (unless all parties agree that this is unnecessary). As a result of the consideration of the representations, the Licensing Authority may refuse to specify the DPS if it considers it necessary for the promotion of the crime prevention objective to do so.

Can there be more than one designated premises supervisor (DPS) at the same premises?

The Act and Guidance specifies that there may only be one DPS for any premises.

What happens if the designated premises supervisor (DPS) leaves his employment, notifies the Licensing Authority, but does not tell the Premises Licence Holder?

The DPS must inform the relevant Licensing Authority if he or she wishes to be removed as DPS. Within 48 hours of the Notice being given to the Licensing Authority, the individual must also give the Premises Licence Holder a copy of the Notice sent to the Licensing Authority. The DPS must also send a Notice directing the Licence Holder to send the Premises Licence to the relevant Licensing Authority. If that is not practicable, a statement of the reasons for the failure to provide the licence within 14 days of receiving the Notice should be issued to the Licensing Authority.
If the holder fails to comply with the direction he/she will commit an offence.

Can I be a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) at more than one premises at the same time?

Yes. The only requirement for being a DPS is that the individual concerned must be the holder of a Personal Licence. This ensures that where the activities concern the supply of alcohol, there is a person who supervises the premises who has an understanding of the social issues, potential problems associated with the sale of alcohol and who is responsible for licensable activities at the premises.

How do you change the details of the DPS?

Where a Designated Premises Supervisor is to be newly specified, the normal procedure is for the Premises Licence Holder to notify the Police of this. The whole Premises Licence does not have to be provided for the amendment. The Act states that part of the licence must be submitted with the appropriate application form. This will also require submission of a schedule to the main licence giving personal details of key individuals. This should be amended by the Licensing Authority.

Does the Designated Premises Supervisor need to be on the premises when alcohol is being served?

No, but that person should always be contactable.  As the Designated Premises Supervisor is ultimately responsible for every alcohol sale, if there is any problem at the premises, it will be a matter for the courts to decide if the DPS has shown due diligence.

Although qualifying clubs don't need a DPS to sell alcohol to members and their guests, this exemption does not apply if the premises are hired out for wedding   receptions and the like.  You need a full Premises Licence for these activities (unless you are only holding a small number of events, which you can hold under a TEN) and therefore need to appoint a DPS

What do I need to apply for a Personal Licence?

There is a fee to obtain this Licence that must be paid at the time of application. The applicant must apply for the Licence to the Licensing Authority responsible for the region that they live in - This may not be the same region in which they work.   The applicant must be over the age of 18 years.
Your application form must be accompanied by:
1. Two photographs of the applicant, which shall be –
(a) taken against a light background so that the applicant's features are distinguishable and contrast against the background;
(b) 45 millimetres by 35 millimetres;
(c) full face uncovered and without sunglasses and, unless the applicant wears a head covering due to his religious beliefs, without a head covering;
(d) on photographic paper; and
(e) one of which is endorsed with a statement verifying the likeness of the photograph to the applicant by a solicitor, notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification.
2. Proof that you hold a Licensing Qualification that has been accredited by the Secretary of State, or proof that you are a person of prescribed description.
3. Either
(a) a criminal conviction certificate issued under section 112 of the Police Act 1997(a);
(b) a criminal record certificate issued under section 113A of the Police Act 1997; or
(c) the results of a subject access search under the Data Protection Act 1998(b) of the Police National Computer by the National Identification Service; and in any case such certificate of search results shall be issued no earlier than one calendar month before the giving of the application to the relevant licensing authority, and
4. A declaration by the applicant, in the form set out in Schedule 3, that either he has not been convicted of a relevant offence or a foreign offence or that he has been convicted of a relevant offence or a foreign offence accompanied by details of the nature and date of the conviction and any sentence imposed on him in respect of it. A relevant/foreign offence that is spent within the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 need not be declared.
5. The fee is £37.00. Cheques are no longer accepted for application fees. You can pay over the telephone with either a credit/debit card or in one of our offices with a credit/debit card. 

6. Accredited Licensing Qualification Certificate
Details of accredited qualication providers can be found on the Gov.UK website .

The application must be submitted to Allerdale Borough Council only. The licensing authority will consult Cumbria Police if the applicant has any relevant offences. The police can make a representation against the application on the prevention of crime and disorder grounds. If the police make a representation then there will be a hearing to determine the application

The holder of the licence is required by the 2003 Act to notify the Licensing Authority that issued the licence of any changes in name or address.  The changes will be recorded. 
The holder is also under a duty to notify the Licensing Authority of any subsequent convictions of any relevant offences committed in this country or abroad.
These measures ensure that a single record will be held of the holder’s history in terms of licensing.

Apply for a Personal Licence

Click on the link below to apply for a Personal Licence. You will need to fill out the form and send it to the  Licensing Department at our Workington Office . Click on "Apply now" to download the application form.

You will also need to include a completed declaration on convictions and civil penalties. The form is also below:

Apply now

Download the conviction declaration form

Please note we no longer accept cheques for applications. A fee of £37 can be paid over the telephone with a credit/debit card.


Changing the details of a Personal Licence

You are obliged to inform us if you change your licence holder's address or your name. Use the application form below to do this
Download the Personal Licence change form

Send the form to the  Licensing department in our Workington office

Please note we no longer accept cheques for applications. A fee of £10.50 can be paid over the telephone with a credit/debit card.

Council Strategy design

Cumberland Council

On 1 April 2023 local government in Cumbria changed, with Cumberland Council providing all your council services.  

Don't worry though, your bins will be emptied as normal, and you'll still be able to speak to the same team about any enquiries to do with things like council tax, benefits, planning or any other service.

Find out more about the changes.

Keep up to date by finding and following the new council on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. 

Sign-up to receive updates straight to your email inbox.

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options