Council encourages businesses to apply for coronavirus grant before the deadline
Allerdale businesses and charities affected by the Coronavirus outbreak are being encouraged to apply for a support grant before the deadline of 5pm on Monday 15th June.
Funding for the scheme comes from central government as part of their business support measures in response to the pandemic.
Central Government has set down key criteria for businesses to be able to access the Local Authority Discretionary Grants Fund. Eligible businesses must:
- Have been trading on the 11th March 2020
- Have not have been eligible or received a grant from the existing Covid grant schemes or other support schemes (excluding the Self-employed Income Support Scheme).
In addition to the eligibility criteria, the Government has outlined that the grants are primarily and predominantly aimed at the following businesses:
- Small or Micro businesses – including regular market traders with fixed business costs, and bed and breakfasts that are registered with the council as a food business and pay council tax instead of business rates.
- Businesses with relatively high ongoing fixed property-related costs above £2,400 a year.
- Businesses which can demonstrate that they have suffered a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Businesses which occupy property, or part of a property, with a rateable value or annual rent or annual mortgage payments below £51,000 (where a rateable value exists this will be the figure used).
- Charity properties in receipt of charitable business rates relief and would otherwise have been eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief
Applicants do need to provide evidence to support their application, so the council is advising business owners to ensure that the right information is included when their application is submitted to avoid delays. It also means that business owners should not leave it to the last minute to apply, to avoid missing out.
To make the application process as simple as possible much of the information can be provided via an accountant’s letter.
More details about the grant and an online application form, can be found on the council’s website at: https://www.allerdale.gov.uk/en/coronavirus/coronavirus-business-grants-claims/discretionary-grant-scheme/.