Council launches new Covid-19 grant scheme for businesses
Eligible businesses in Allerdale impacted by the Omicron variant can now apply for new government grant support.
The Additional Restrictions Grant (ARG) - Omicron Support Scheme provides support to those businesses that have been impacted by the rise of the Omicron variant but are not eligible for funding under other business support schemes.
The grant is administered by Allerdale Borough Council with funding provided by the government.
The Council has decided the following grant award levels will apply for the ARG Omicron Support Grant award levels will be as follows:
- £2,667 for micro businesses with 0-9 employees
- £4,000 for small businesses with 10-49 employees
- £6,000 for medium or large businesses with 50 or more employees
Business eligible to apply for the ARG Omicron Support Scheme include those from the following sectors, with priority given to businesses in category A:
- Businesses in the hospitality, hotel, bed & breakfast and leisure industries that are not business rated.
- Event and event management businesses
- Businesses that directly organise, facilitate or perform at organised events
- Businesses in the travel and tourism sector, including group travel, travel agents and tour operators, coach operators.
- Businesses that directly supply the hospitality, leisure and events sectors (e.g. wholesalers, breweries, etc.). This should not include businesses where supply to supermarkets accounts for 50% or more of their business.
- Businesses that rely on close physical contact (e.g., personal care, hair and beauty, driving instructors, taxi drivers etc).
- Self-catering accommodation that is not business-rated.
- Other businesses – the council will use its discretion to consider grant applications from any other business operating in the Allerdale area, that has been severely impacted by the rise of the Omicron variant.
Full details of the eligibility criteria, and the online application form, is available on the council’s website .
The application process is very similar to previous grant schemes administered by the council. Businesses will need to apply for the grant using the online form and provide some key information about their business.
Business owners are encouraged to check the website to see what information is required, before starting an application.
The deadline for receipt of applications for this grant scheme is 5pm on 18 February 2022.
Cllr Mike Johnson, Leader of the Council, said: “We know that many local businesses have been affected especially in the run-up to Christmas from the rise of the Omicron variant of COVID-19. Therefore, I’m really pleased that we’re able to offer this additional funding support for those businesses that were not eligible for the other grant scheme.
I therefore encourage any business owner who is eligible under the ARG scheme to submit their applications as soon as possible, and certainly before the closing date of 18 February.”
Anyone with any queries on this, or the other grant scheme, should check the council's website where they can find more information. If this information does not answer their question, they can speak to a customer service advisor on 0303 123 1702.