Close Coronavirus

See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities and individuals. There is also advice if you are reopening your business and shopping safely. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our offices remain closed to the public. 

Close Safari browser users

We are aware of an issue for those using the Safari browser to view our website, which affects some of the online forms. If you are using Safari to access one of our online forms and see an error message, we recommend using another browser such as Chrome. Our contractor is working on a solution to the issue. Apologies for any inconvenience.


Information on trees

Allerdale Borough Council has the responsibility for trees on Allerdale Borough Council land but there are many areas of land that Allerdale does not own or maintain. To help guide you to the right area of assistance, please view the following information:

  • If the tree is growing very close to, through or is affecting a power cable or electricity line you should report it to Electricity North West.
  • If the tree is growing through a phone line cable you should contact the provider of the phone line. 
  • Cumbria County Council owns and maintains many of the rural areas throughout Cumbria including the highways and A-roads throughout Allerdale, as well as some areas within towns, particularly along most cycle tracks and certain residential areas. Trees in these areas may be reported to Cumbria County Council's Highways team.
  • Parish Councils maintain some open spaces within their Parishes. For information on the areas they maintain please contact your local Parish Council.
  • Town Councils also own and maintain some areas, such as some of the town centres. Your local Town Council will be able to provide you with information on the areas they look after.

Trees on most Social Housing Estates are usually owned and maintained by the housing association that manages the estate.

Trees on privately owned housing estates are usually owned by the developer of that estate who will normally have private-sector maintenance agreements in place.

We maintain trees on Council owned land, which are checked regularly and trees of a risk to public safety may be pruned, pollarded or removed after assessment. 

Over-mature, dead and diseased specimens on all Allerdale land are assessed via a tree survey and remedial works take place as a result of these surveys, usually during the autumn and winter months.

Please contact us if you are concerned about the health or safety of a tree on Allerdale land.

Contact us for more information regarding trees on Allerdale land

General advice on trees

If you are a member of the public and have an issue with a tree that is not an immediate danger the following guidance may help:

Information on hedges, trees and boundaries can be found on the Government website

Information on trees that are within conservation areas that are subject to a condition of planning consent or are covered by a Tree Preservation Order can be found here. 

There is no legal limit to how high a tree is allowed to grow, and nor is there a legal right to light, a view or TV reception under UK law. If light, view or television reception is blocked by the growth of a tree, the house owner or occupant is not necessarily allowed to cut the tree back or down unless it is within their property boundaries, is not subject to a planning consent condition or a Tree Preservation Order and is not in a Conservation Area.

Debris that fall from a tree are not classed as nuisance within legal terms and it is up to the property owner, rather than the owner of the tree to maintain their own paths, gutters and gardens.

You can report fallen leaves that are blocking drains and gulleys to us here.

Before buying a property consider if it has trees (no matter how small) around any of the boundaries. If you buy a property and there is a woodland or a number of trees beyond your boundary fence it is unlikely they will be removed because you have bought the property.

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates