Skip to main content

See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities and individuals. There is also advice on how to open your business and shop, safely. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our Wigton office is open by appointment only - call 0303 123 1702 to book an appointment to speak to a customer service advisor.


Road Closure Orders

Allerdale Borough Council may make a Road Closure Order to facilitate ‘rolling-road’ events such as parades, carnivals and processions as well as more ‘stati community events, such as Christmas lights switch-ons and street parties.

For other types of road closure you may have to contact Cumbria County Council.

If you want to apply for a Road Closure you must download, complete and return the below Closing Order application form, with a payment of £121. This can be paid either by card in one of our customer service centres, or find out other ways to pay and use the name of the event as a reference.

More guidance is provided in the application form.

Download the road closure application form and guidance

You are also required to have public liability insurance cover of £5 million before your application can be processed. You should include a copy of your public liability insurance schedule when you return your pro-forma.

You should aim to submit your application for a Road Closure Order to the  council no less than six weeks before the starting date of the event. 

The council will consult with the necessary organisations on your behalf. However, if you have any particular requirements you should consult with the relevant body yourself prior to completing the application form.

  • You are required to consult with anyone who may be affected by the event such as residents or local businesses.
  • Depending on the size and nature of the event, you may also wish to consider advertising in a local newspaper
  • You are responsible for ensuring that any requirements placed on you by the consultees are undertaken.

Any signs or barriers erected should be done so in accordance with the requirements of Cumbria County Council’s Highways department. If you require any further information contact the county council.

If you think that you may require a licence for any aspect for your event, see our Temporary Event Notice Licence  and Premises Licence pages.

We will confirm whether your application has been successful approximately three weeks before the event. We will send you a Notice of Road Closure, which must be posted in the streets and surrounding affected areas at least 14 days before the event.

If you require any further information on Road Closure Orders contact us.

Closing orders and consultations

A list of all current consultations and completed closing orders within the last six months can be found below: 


Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates