Road Closure Orders
Below are details of how to apply for closures for ‘rolling-road’ events such as parades, carnivals and processions as well as more ‘stati community events, such as Christmas lights switch-ons and street parties.
For other types of road closure go to our highways section.
To apply for a Road Closure Order you must:
- Read the guidance available for download below. This contains essential information for the application process and the information you need to provide
- Pay £121 by BACS using the details linked below. Use the name of the event as the payment reference. Without payment, we cannot process your application
- Complete the online form.
You are also required to have public liability insurance cover of £5 million, complete a risk assessment and instruct a person with an "Article 8 accreditation" before your application can be processed. You will be required to attach supporting evidence to the online form.
If you have any queries, contact Legal Services by email using firstname.lastname@example.org.
You should aim to submit your application for a Road Closure Order to the council no less than six weeks before the starting date of the event.
The council will consult with the necessary organisations on your behalf. However, if you have any particular requirements you should consult with the relevant body yourself prior to completing the application form.
- You are required to consult with anyone who may be affected by the event such as residents or local businesses.
- Depending on the size and nature of the event, you may also wish to consider advertising in a local newspaper
- You are responsible for ensuring that any requirements placed on you by the consultees are undertaken.
Any signs or barriers erected should be done so in accordance with the requirements of Cumbria County Council’s Highways department. If you require any further information contact the county council.
We will confirm whether your application has been successful approximately three weeks before the event. We will send you a Notice of Road Closure, which must be posted in the streets and surrounding affected areas at least 14 days before the event.
If you require any further information on Road Closure Orders contact us.
Closing orders and consultations
A list of all current consultations and completed closing orders within the last six months can be found below:Notice of Intention - Wigton Carnival - 24 June 2023 Notice of Intention - Workington Armed Forces Parage - 24 June 2023 Notice of Intention - Flimby Childrens Carnival - 1st July 2023 Notice of Intention - Maryport Carnival 2023 8th July 2023 Notice of Intention - Broughton Children's Carnical 15th July 2023Notice of Intention - Workington Armed Forces Parade - 24 June 2023 Notice of Intention - Wigton Carnival - 24th June 2023 Notice of Intention - Seaton Children's Carnival 10th June 2023 Notice of Intention - Brierydale Coronation Party 7th May 2023 Cockermouth Fireshow Order