Skip to main content

Coronavirus restrictions remain in place across England including Allerdale. Some of the rules on what you can and cannot do changed on May 17. However, many restrictions remain in place. This link includes details of the roadmap out of lockdown.

• See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and our services.

• Help for affected businesses, charities and other organisations including the support grants that are available.

• Advice for individuals including the Test and Trace Support payment to help those self-isolating.

• Our customer contact centres have reopened to public on an appointment-only basis. However, please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us where possible. Contact us link includes details on how to book an appointment. 

Flooding - general information and advice

The Cumbria County Council website provides a wealth of information about how to be prepared before, during and after a flood.


Current warnings from the Environment Agency

Reporting blocked road drains and surface water flooding

If a drain is blocked, you can report it to Cumbria County Council .

Cumbria Police have an online map which will show where there are any roads with flooding issues.

Preparing for a flood and keeping up to date with the latest situation

There are some simple things you can do to be better prepared for a flood:

There is also a wealth of information on the Flood Hub:

Go to the Flood Hub website

Flood sacks (similar to sand bags)

Flood sacks are items which swell when placed in water and can act as a barrier, much like a sand bag, to divert water. When dry they are light and reasonably flat so they can be stored for when they are required. If you are worried about flooding you can also get sandbags and flood sacks from builders merchants. Please remember that sandbags and flood sacks are only an aid to slowing down water ingress. They cannot be relied upon to protect your property from flooding.

We have distributed FREE flood sacks at various locations to help you keep flood water from your property. The current locations are:

Aspatria (and local area)

  • Aspatria Dairy, Station Road, Aspatria, Cumbria (24 hours)
  • Blennerhasset Community Hall
  • Bagrow, The Grey Goat. 
  • Aspatria Dairy, Station Road, Aspatria, Cumbria (24 hours)

Cockermouth (and local area)

Keswick (and local area)

  • Allerdale Borough Council Keswick office, Keswick Town Hall, Main Street, Keswick distribution organised by Keswick Flood Action Group during emergencies)
  • St Herbert's Church Hall, Braithwaite (contact Allerdale Borough Council on 0303 123 1702 for distribution details)

Maryport (and local area)

  • Allerdale Borough Council Maryport office, Senhouse Street, Maryport
  • Allonby - (distributed by the Parish Council)
  • Dearham Village Hall, Dearham (distributed by the Parish Council)
  • Dearham Commercial pub. (distributed by the Parish Council)
  • Flimby Cemetery, Flimby (contact Allerdale Borough Council on 0303 123 1702 for distribution details)
  • Flimby, Rugby Field (contact Allerdale Borough Council on 0303 123 1702 for distribution details)
  • Maryport Fire Station, Maryport (contact Allerdale Borough Council on  0303 123 1702 for distribution details)


  • Solway Coast Discovery Centre, Liddell Street, Silloth-on-Solway, Cumbria, CA7 4DD (sandbags only) (open weekdays and Saturday mornings.)


  • Wigton Local Links, Community Office, Market Hall, Church Street, Wigton, Cumbria CA7 9AA. Organised and distributed by the Wigton flood action group.


  • Allerdale Borough Council main office, Allerdale House, Workington, CA14 3YJ
  • Barepot Soapary Works store (contact Workington Town Council)

Cleaning up after a flood 

The  Environment Agency provides a wealth of information on what to do after you have been flooded. You can also find information on how to stay safe and healthy during a clean-up.

Who does what with regard to flooding?

When Cumbria floods a number of organisations work together to help. We all have different roles and responsibilities

Allerdale Borough Council - our primary role is to set up and man reception centres for people who have had to be evacuated from their homes. We will then help find alternative temporary accommodation. Once the immediate emergency is over, we can assist with environmental health, housing, building control, and planning enquiries and issues.

Cumbria County Council - are the strategic flood authority in the county and co-ordinate and lead on flood recovery. They are also responsible for surface water and road flooding.

Environment Agency -  the EA is responsible for incidents involving sea and river flooding. They provide a wealth of information on river and sea levels through their website.

The  Cumbria Strategic Flood Partnership oversees all the work going on in Cumbria to tackle flooding.

More advice on flooding

There is a wealth of information relating to flooding:

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options