Skip to main content

Food hygiene inspections

If you are a food business we will carry out regular inspections of your business to help you comply with the food safety regulations.

You can find lots of advice on how to meet the food safety regulations from the Food Standards Agency website .

Arranging an inspection of a food business

All food businesses have to register with us and we will carry out a regular inspection of your premises. The frequency of these inspections depends on the type of business and the standard of hygiene in the premises. 

Download our Food Safety Enforcement Policy

Setting up a new food business

If you are setting up a new food business you have to register with us at least 28 days before opening. 

You can find more advice on the steps you need to take on the Food Standards Agency website

If you would like an advisory visit from one of our food safety team, then contact us by phone or use the general enquiry form .

To register your food business, visit the Register a food business webpage here  or complete the form below and return it to our food and safety team (the form is available in .pdf and Word format).

Download the registration form (pdf)

Download the registration form (Word)

If you operate certain types of food premises you may need to be approved either by your local authority or in some cases, the Food Standards Agency (FSA).

The agency keeps a full register of all approved premises in the UK.

Examples of types of businesses that are required to be approved by local authorities are manufacturing or processing premises for meat, fish, egg or dairy products not for sale to the final consumer.

Fresh meat premises, such as fresh red meat and poultry slaughter houses, cutting plants or farmed and wild game handling establishments, require approval by the Foods Standards Agency. Businesses which require approval by the agency should visit the Food Standards Agency website.

If you are a business that requires approval by your local authority, you can apply for food premises approval or to change a food premises approval by completing a food premises approval form. The completed approval form can be sent to or sent by post to Cumberland Council, Environmental Health, Allerdale House, Workington, Cumbria CA14 3YJ. You will then be contacted by a member of the team.

You can download the food premises approval form here .

Remember you may also need a licence with your business, especially if you are selling alcohol or providing entertainment. We can help with this too .

Food hygiene rating scheme

Each food business is given a star rating between zero and five (five being the best) on their food hygiene practices. This rating is made available to the public on the  food hygiene rating scheme website

You will get a window sticker to promote your rating on your premises.

Food sampling

Our enforcement of food hygiene legislation includes an element of food sampling to assist in the protection of public health and the food law enforcement functions of the authority.

Food sampling allows us to gather information about the quality and safety of food produced, handled and sold in the borough.

We participate in a number of food sampling activities as outlined in our food sampling policy.

Download the 2020/21 food sampling policy

Council Strategy design

Cumberland Council

On 1 April 2023 local government in Cumbria changed, with Cumberland Council providing all your council services.  

Don't worry though, your bins will be emptied as normal, and you'll still be able to speak to the same team about any enquiries to do with things like council tax, benefits, planning or any other service.

Find out more about the changes.

Keep up to date by finding and following the new council on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. 

Sign-up to receive updates straight to your email inbox.

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options