We'll soon be making changes to the way recycling is collected, and we'll be delivering bins and boxes to households in preparation for this. Find out more.
Local elections - May 2019
Find out more about the local elections on 2 May 2019, including how to register to vote and how to apply for a postal or proxy vote.
Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
When we inspect a food business - such as a pub, restaurant, takeaway, sandwich shop, hotel, supermarket- we give it a star rating from zero to five (five being the best) on their standards of food hygiene.
We also give each business a window sticker to display their rating - look out for it before eating there.
The scheme looks into the following things:
- how hygienically the food is handled – safe food preparation, cooking, re-heating, cooling and storage
- the condition of the structure of the premises – cleanliness, repair, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
- how food safety is managed and documented – using a system such as Safer food, better business or Safe Catering
The ratings are:
- 5 - very good
- 4 - good
- 3 - generally satisfactory
- 2 - improvement necessary
- 1 - major improvement necessary
- 0 - urgent improvement necessary
More information about the scheme
You can find more information about the scheme from the Food Standards Agency website.
Find a food hygiene rating
As well as having a sticker to display the rating, all scores are available via the Food Standards Agency website and its searchable register.
If you download our app, you can search the register via it when you are out and about.
Appealing a decision
If you do not agree with our inspection results or the Food Hygiene Rating we have given your business, you can appeal the decision.
Find out more on the Food Standards Agency website.