See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities and individuals. There is also advice if you are reopening your business and shopping safely. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our offices remain closed to the public.
We are aware of an issue for those using the Safari browser to view our website, which affects some of the online forms. If you are using Safari to access one of our online forms and see an error message, we recommend using another browser such as Chrome. Our contractor is working on a solution to the issue. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Food Hygiene Rating Scheme
When we inspect a food business - such as a pub, restaurant, takeaway, sandwich shop, hotel, supermarket- we give it a star rating from zero to five (five being the best) on their standards of food hygiene.
We also give each business a window sticker to display their rating - look out for it before eating there.
The scheme looks into the following things:
- how hygienically the food is handled – safe food preparation, cooking, re-heating, cooling and storage
- the condition of the structure of the premises – cleanliness, repair, layout, lighting, ventilation and other facilities
- how food safety is managed and documented – using a system such as Safer food, better business or Safe Catering
The ratings are:
- 5 - very good
- 4 - good
- 3 - generally satisfactory
- 2 - improvement necessary
- 1 - major improvement necessary
- 0 - urgent improvement necessary
More information about the scheme
You can find more information about the scheme from the Food Standards Agency website.
Find a food hygiene rating
As well as having a sticker to display the rating, all scores are available via the Food Standards Agency website and its searchable register.
If you download our app, you can search the register via it when you are out and about.
Appealing a decision
If you do not agree with our inspection results or the Food Hygiene Rating we have given your business, you can appeal the decision.
Find out more on the Food Standards Agency website.
Sign up for the latest news and updates