What is building control?
Building control ensures a development is built to the correct standards to ensure it is safe, energy efficient, and meets the requirements of disabled people.
Whether or not Planning Permission is required, most work has to comply with national Building Regulations.
Examples of factors building control monitors for approval are:
- Structural stability
- Means of escape in case of fire
- Resistance to moisture and drainage
- Stairways and access for disabled persons
Unlike our friends in the planning department, our building control team do cover developments within the Lake District National Park boundary.
How do we ensure the building regulations are complied with?
When you start a building project, you can:
- submit plans to us and we will inspect on site to ensure the regulations are being complied with
- alternatively, a building notice can be submitted by a suitably qualified person.
Help with the building regulations
We are here to help you comply with the building regulations. If you need advice contact our building control team:
Steps to apply for building control compliance:
Step 1 - Check if you need it