Skip to main content
Council tax bills

Residents will soon be getting their council tax bill for 2023/24. This will come from Cumberland Council who will be providing all council services from 1 April 2023. Find out more about the bill, including the help and support that is available for those on low incomes, on the Cumberland Council website. 

Street naming and numbering

Street naming and numbering is a statutory that requires local authorities to prepare street naming and numbering schemes under the Towns Improvement Clauses 1847 and the Public Health Act 1925.

It also allows local authorities to re-name or re-number properties and streets it considers to be necessary.

Download the Street Naming and Numbering Policy

Download the Street Naming and Numbering application form (do not forget to include the fee with your application)

If a property is already numbered, a property owner can additionally name their property without contacting the council as long as it does not conflict with an existing property name in that locality.

The property name in this case will not officially form part of the property address and the property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence.

For example:

"My House" (not part of official address)
1 My Road (official address)

You only need to seek permission from the council if there is no number allocated in the official address (i.e. if the property has been allocated a name as part of its official address).

In the case of addresses where there is no number allocated, the allocated name does form part of the official address. In this instance you will need to make a Street Naming and Numbering application.

We will assess the name put forward and contact Royal Mail to see if they have knowledge of a similar named property in the locality. We check our information systems and if the name is satisfactory, then the new address is registered and you will be informed accordingly. If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will request alternatives.

The property name change information is then sent to Royal Mail, emergency and essential services and other relevant council services.

Individual properties are generally built on infill land, large gardens or on a site of previously demolished properties.

These will be numbered within the existing sequence if possible or house names will be used if necessary.

Where building takes place on the site of a demolished property, the new building will inherit the existing number.

If you are developing a large estate, you should contact us as soon as you start work on site so that we can process the naming of any new street and the numbering of your new properties without delay.

We will check your suggested street names for duplication in the local area and forward them to local councils and Royal Mail for consultation.

The name should not duplicate an existing name and should have an historical connection to the site.

When we have an agreed name, we will then register the street name/s and prepare a numbering schedule. The details will be registered on the local gazetteer (which registers addresses) and this information is then allocated to public utilities, emergency services, Land Registry and Ordnance Survey.

The following council departments will also be notified: Contract Services, Democratic Services, Land Charges and Council Tax.

New Properties
New individual property£48
New street£145 for first 10 units, £8 a unit after
Redevelopment of existing building£48
Alteration in either street name or property number£145 for first 10 units, £8 a unit after
Confirmation of postal address to solicitor/conveyancer£24
New build flats£96 plus £14 a unit
Existing properties
Change of existing house name£48
Adding an alias to a numbered property£48
Change of building name, flats etc£96 plus £14 per unit
Request for street name change£240 plus £48 per property
Request for street numbering where none existed£240 plus £48 per property
Sub division of existing building into individual units£48 plus £14 per property
Council Strategy design

Cumberland Council

On 1 April 2023 local government in Cumbria will change, with Cumberland Council providing all your council services.  

On day one, most things won't change - your bins will be emptied as normal, and you'll still be able to speak to the same team about any enquiries to do with things like council tax, benefits, planning or any other service.

Keep up to date by finding and following the new council on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Sign-up to receive updates straight to your email inbox.

Find out more about the changes.

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options