See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities and individuals. There is also advice if you are reopening your business and shopping safely. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our offices remain closed to the public.
We are aware of an issue for those using the Safari browser to view our website, which affects some of the online forms. If you are using Safari to access one of our online forms and see an error message, we recommend using another browser such as Chrome. Our contractor is working on a solution to the issue. Apologies for any inconvenience.
This privacy statement covers all Allerdale Borough Council's services including this website.
Being transparent and providing accessible information to individuals about how we use personal information is a key element of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The most common way to provide this information is in a privacy notice.
Alongside this privacy notice we also provide service specific privacy notices that give further details on how we process your personal data (Electoral Registration and Customer Accounts).
Allerdale Borough Council uses your personal data you provide to deliver the services you require. It will all be processed in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and other privacy laws.
The Data Controller is Allerdale Borough Council, though there may be instances where the data is shared with another party as joint Data Controllers, or where the Council is operating as a data processor for another party.
Allerdale Borough Council is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as a Data Controller (registration number: Z5680850
As a public authority we are required to have a Data Protection Officer who is responsible for:
- Monitoring the council's compliance with the GDPR and other data protection laws.
- Monitoring our data protection policies, awareness-raising, training, and audits.
- Advising the council in respect to their data protection obligations.
- Providing advice and monitoring the Data Protection Impact Assessment process.
- Acting as a point of contact for the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and members of public on any matter relating to Data Protection.
The contact details for the Data Protection Officer at Allerdale Borough Council is the:
Information Governance and Data Protection Officer,
To provide you with the services we provide, we will sometimes need to collect and use your personal information.
All data will be processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner, in accordance with the GDPR and prevailing UK data protection legislation.
The General Data Protection Regulation ensures that we comply with a series of data protection principles. These principles are there to protect you and they make sure that we:
- Process all personal information lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- Collect personal information for a specified, explicit and legitimate purpose.
- Ensure that the personal information processed is adequate, relevant and limited to the purposes for which it was collected.
- Ensure the personal information is accurate and up to date.
- Keep your personal information for no longer than is necessary for the purpose(s) for which it was collected.
- Keep your personal information securely using appropriate technical or organisational measures.
Where there is large amounts of data being processed we shall use dedicated privacy notices which will clearly outline how your data will be used and what information is being shared.
The reasons for processing data include:
- maintaining our own accounts and records
- supporting and managing our employees
- promoting the services we provide
- marketing our local tourism
- carrying out health and public awareness campaigns
- managing our property
- providing leisure and cultural services
- carrying out surveys
- administering the assessment and collection of taxes and other revenue including benefits and grants
- licensing and regulatory activities
- local fraud initiatives
- crime prevention and prosecution offenders including the use of CCTV
- corporate administration and all activities we are required to carry out as a data controller and public authority
- undertaking research
- the provision of all commercial services including the administration and enforcement of parking regulations and restrictions
- the provision of all non-commercial activities including refuse collections from residential properties,
- internal financial support and corporate functions
- managing archived records for historical and research reasons
- data matching under local and national fraud initiatives
- administration of "nuisance vehicles" system
The basis for the processing will be either of one, or more, of the following:
- Consent from you
- Contractural requirements
- Legal obligation
- To protect your vital interests
- Provision of statutory functions or public task
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests
As we are a local authority, the lawful basis for processing the majority of personal data is in the provision of statutory functions or public task. However, sometimes we require your consent. Where this is the case you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please contact the Information Governance and Data Protection Officer for further details.
We shall use your data for the specific purpose for which it is provided, unless to use it for another purpose is in your interests and does not infringe with your privacy rights. We shall not use your data for marketing purposes unless you have consented for us to do so.
Categories of personal data
We shall only process data which is required to carry out the required task. This includes name, date of birth, address, and similar. We shall not ask for information which is not required.
The types of services which require the processing of personal data include:
Customer services; elections and boundary reviews; democratic services including the Mayor's and Leader's office; benefits and council tax; building control; town centre management; estates; tourism and destination management; planning and planning policy; homelesseness; emergency planning; environmental health; food and health and safety; environmental protection; housing and housing grants; legal; senior management office; human resources; policy; communications and marketing; parking; community services; waste management; street scene; licensing; land charges; parks management; property services; finance; procurement and contracts; information technology.
The categories of data we shall be processing include:
- personal details
- family details
- lifestyle and social circumstances
- goods and services
- financial details
- employment and education details
- housing needs
- visual images, personal appearance and behaviour
- licenses or permits held
- student and pupil records
- business activities
- case file information
We also process sensitive classes of information that may include:
- ethnic origin
- trade union membership
- sex life
- sexual orientation
In most cases the information we receive will be held by us only. To ensure that we provide you with an efficient service we will sometime need to share your information between teams within the council.
We may also share the information with partner organisations where necessary so that you receive the service you request.
This could include, but is not limited to, our waste company Allerdale Waste Services, our landscaping contractor, ISS, and our sports and leisure contractor, GLL.
In addition, we may share your information with partner authorities or government departments, including:
- District councils
- Fire Service
- Voluntary organisations
A full list of the types of organisations we may share your information with is below.
We will only ever share your information if we are satisfied that our partners or suppliers have sufficient measures in place to protect your information in the same way that we do.
We will never share your information for marketing purposes.
Before sharing information we will ensure that:
- Privacy Notices are completed if appropriate.
- Technical security such as encryption and access controls are in place to keep information secure.
- Information Sharing Agreements are completed showing the rules to be adopted by the various organisations involved in the sharing exercise.
- Data Protection Impact Assessments are completed to assess any risks or potential negative effects.
- Common retention periods and deletion arrangements are set for the information.
- Subject access rights are catered for.
Full list of the types of organisations we may be obliged to share information with:
- family, associates or representatives of the person whose personal data we are processing
- current past and prospective employers
- healthcare, social and welfare organisations
- educators and examining bodies
- providers of goods and services
- financial organisations
- debt collection and tracing agencies
- private investigators
- service providers
- local and central government
- ombudsman and regulatory authorities
- press and the media
- professional advisers and consultants
- courts and tribunals
- trade unions
- political organisations
- professional advisers
- credit reference agencies
- professional bodies
- survey and research organisations
- police forces
- housing associations and landlords
- voluntary and charitable organisations
- religious organisations
- students and pupils including their relatives, guardians, carers or representatives
- data processors
- other police forces, non-home office police forces
- regulatory bodies
- courts, prisons
- customs and excise
- local and central government
- international law enforcement agencies and bodies
- security companies
- partner agencies, approved organisations and individuals working with the police,
- licensing authorities
- service providers
- press and the media
- healthcare professionals
- current past and prospective employers and examining bodies
- law enforcement and prosecuting authorities
- legal representatives, defence solicitors
- police complaints authority
- the disclosure and barring service
- healthcare professionals
Transfers to third countries
Your personal and sensitive personal data will normally be stored and processed on servers within the European Economic Area (EEA).
It may sometimes be necessary to transfer personal information overseas. When this is needed information may be transferred to countries or territories around the world. Any transfers made will be in full compliance with all aspects of the prevailing data protection legislation.
Your personal data is retained for as long it is required and in accordance with our retention policy.
When your data is no longer required it will be destroyed securely and confidentially.
There may be times when decisions are automated by computer to speed up the service you require. This may be the case for benefits and council tax enquiries, however, the final decision is always made by a member of staff. You do have a right to request that your data is always considered by a member of our staff instead (see below).
Our website collects information automatically via cookies to improve your use of the site and to provide advertising. More information on cookies is available on our website
You have a number of rights in relation to your data. These are:
- The right to be informed when data is collected
- The right of access to your data
- The right to rectification of your data - to correct inaccurate or incomplete data
- The right to erasure of your data (except in certain circumstances) - we will delete your data if requested unless there is a legal obligation to process your data
- The right to restrict processing - we can retain as much data is necessary to ensure the restriction is respected in the future
- The right to data portability - where we can, where possible, provide your information in a structured, commonly used, machine readable form when asked
- The right to object to the processing of data - where you can object to the processing of data for direct marketing or research purposes
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling, to reduce the risk that a potentially damaging decision is taken without human intervention.
You also have a right to withdraw any consent you may have given us to processing your data and a right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO). More details on these rights can be found on the ICO's website.
For more information and advice on how to exercise any of the above rights, please see the Individuals’ Rights page on our website.
Failure to provide the necessary information may mean we are unable to provide you with the service you require.
We aim to meet high standards and so our policies and procedures are constantly under review. From time to time we may therefore update this Privacy Notice.
If you wish to compliment, comment or complain about how we are processing your data, then please visit our comments, compliments and complaints page.
If you remain dissatisfied with our service and how we have handled your complaint or request to exercise your privacy rights, then you can go to the Information Commissioner's Office at:
The Information Commissioner
We make as much information as possible on our website: www.allerdale.gov.uk . You can access Council information under the Freedom of Information (FOI) and Environmental Information Regulations (EIR).
If you wish to make a request it must be in writing to the Information Governance and Data Protection on: Allerdale House, Workington, CA14 3YJ, email: email@example.com .
Please ensure you identify the information you require as clearly as possible.
You do not need to say why you want the information and we shall provide you with a response within 20 working days (unless a legitimate extension applies).
See the specific privacy notice for electoral registration.
Registering with myAllerdale
You can get your own myAllerdale account to use our online forms, payment services without giving your details every time, and the ability to track progress of your requests.
We don’t make your personal details available to other companies for marketing purposes, but we may share those details with our partner organisations that we use to help deliver services.
You have complete control of your data via the myAllerdale portal which allows you to view and change your details.
This privacy statement applies solely to the Allerdale Borough Council website. If you visit one of the linked sites our policy no longer applies and we strongly recommend that you check their own privacy statement.
Details how to stop cookies being used can be found below. However, please note that switching some cookies off, may affect functionality of the site, such as logins to the myAllerdale system.
Checking for cookies and switching them off
You can turn off cookies generally using your browser settings. More information on how to do this can be found on the Information Commissioner's Office website.
- A number of website allow you to find out more about cookies including aboutcookies.org and allaboutcookies.org.
- The Internet Advertising Bureau website allows you to see what advertising cookies there are and opt-out if you prefer
- You can install this add-on to your browser to opt-out of Google analytics or use Mozilla's Do Not Track feature
Other functional and performance cookies used on the site
|is_returning||Crazy Egg||Heatmap analytics. This gives us a visual representation of how a page is used based upon where users click.||5 years|
|AllerdaleMapsWebLicence||Allerdale Borough Council||Records whether or not the visitor has agreed to the web mapping licence agreement.||1 month|
|atMyCouncil||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 month|
|astun||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 month|
|ASP.NET_SessionId||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||At end of session|
|astun:mapSource||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 year|
|astun:mapView||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 year|
|astun:baseMap||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 year|
|atLocation||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 month|
|astun:previousLocation||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 Year|
|astun:currentLocation||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 month|
|astun:vLyrs_ish_Allerdale_AllMaps||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 year|
|astun:lyrs_ish_Allerdale_AllMaps||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 year|
|astun:layerPanelOpenGroups||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 year|
|jQuery-ui-panelsCollapseStatus||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||1 week|
|panelsaccordionstatus||Astun iShare||This is a cookie used to provide the mapping functionality on this website.||10 months|
|ASPSESSIONIDSSSBABCB||Civica||This is a session cookie used by the payment system on this website.||At end of session|
|JSESSIONID||Northgate||This is a session cookie used by the planning system on this website.||At end of session|
|ASPSESSIONIDSSTAARBD||ModernGov||This is a session cookie used by the decision management system used on this website.||At end of session|
|ASP.NET_SessionId||ModernGov||This is a session cookie used by the decision management system used on this website.||At end of session|
|ORA_WWV_APP_1030||MyAllerdale||This cookie's sole purpose is to map your browser to your application session||None|
|LOGIN_USERNAME_COOKIE||MyAllerdale||This cookie is created after successful login and its store current username||None|
|Anonymous Name||MyAllerdale||Store current session value||None|
|www.allerdale.gov.uk||AWSALB||AWS Application Load Balancer||This is for servers that maintain state information in order to provide a continuous experience to clients. To use sticky sessions, the clients must support cookies.||12 hours|
|www.allerdale.gov.uk||cookie_consent||Allerdale Website||Used to supress EU Cookie pop-up warning||1 Year|
|www.allerdale.gov.uk||csrftoken||Allerdale Website||Cross Site Request Forgery protection||1 Year|
|www.allerdale.gov.uk||django_language||Allerdale Website||Stores the user's preferred language in the cookie. Only English is available currently.||1 Year|
|www.allerdale.gov.uk||__utmc||Google Analytics||Not used in ga.js. Set for interoperability with urchin.js. Historically, this cookie operated in conjunction with the __utmb cookie to determine whether the user was in a new session/visit.||End of browser session|
|www.allerdale.gov.uk||__utmt||Google Analytics||Used to throttle request rate.||10 minutes|
|.syndication.twitter.com||metrics_token||Twitter - plugin||These cookies are set and managed by Twitter.They save information about the authentication token that a user uses to connect and Twitter also uses these cookies to collect statistical data about performance and direct content of the adverts displayed to visitors based on views. They are used in the embedded Twitter plugin and 'Share' and 'Follow' buttons.||2 Weeks - 10 Years|
|.twitter.com||__utma||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||_ga||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||ads_prefs||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||auth_token||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||dnt||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||eu_cn||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||kdt||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||personalization_id||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||remember_checked_on||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||syndication_guest_id||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||tfw_exp||Twitter - plugin|
|.twitter.com||twid||Twitter - plugin|
|cdn.syndication.twimg.com||lang||Twitter - plugin|
|syndication.twitter.com||lang||Twitter - plugin|
Sign up for the latest news and updates