See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities -including details of our discretionary grant scheme - and individuals. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our offices remain closed to the public.
Website accessibility and document readers
We have built this new website with accessibility in mind. It has a number of features to meet the W3C Web Accessibility Initiative Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Version 2.0 standards requiring sites to be perceivable, operable, understandable and robust.
As a result we have used
- a clear and simple design with a sharp contrast
- easy navigation
- compatibility with screen readers and other devices as well as browser extensions
- 'alt-text' on items by default
- functionality which does not require a mouse
- responsive design allowing increase in font
- slide galleries with an at least three second rotation
- use of html components to allow easy migration
Browser extensions and online help
The BBC's My Web My Way website provides lots of information on how to enhance the experience for computer users with disabilities.
There is also more information on how to use the accessibility features in the Microsoft software.
How do I read documents which can be downloaded on the Allerdale Borough Council website?
There are a number of documents which are available to download on this website. Most will open automatically with readers already installed on your computer or mobile device.
However, if there is a document which is in a format which you haven't got, you can find the links to download the free readers below: