How to apply for planning permission

Applying for planning permission can seem daunting, but there is a clear process to go through.

Find out more about how we can help in our Planning Advice Service and Charges document

Applying for planning permission

All valid applications must include specific documents, drawings and plans depending on the type of application. Check what you need before you apply using the links and checklists below.

We are often unable to proceed with applications because the accompanying plans are missing or not good enough. We need a series of accurate drawings and plans clearly showing what you are proposing.

The best way to apply for planning permission is through the Planning Portal. This allows you to submit all types of planning permission, and download plans. It can also be used to see how much it will cost.

Apply online

Remember you can only apply for planning permission to us if the property is outside the Lake District National Park boundary. If it is inside, you will need to apply to the Lake District National Park Authority.

How much will my planning application cost?

There are set fees for the type and scale of application. Use the Planning Portal to determine the fees for your application.

Check the fees online

How can I pay my planning fees?

You can pay your fees a number of ways:

What happens once my application is received?

Once you have submitted your application it will be given a unique reference number and go on the public planning application register. We will then consult with statutory consultees and the local community on your application.

If you wish to amend an application, speak to us first. You may need to submit a new application.

You can find out more information about how planning decisions are made via the Planning Portal or the Planning Practice Guidance.

Who makes the decision on my planning application?

A decision will be made on your application by either the plannning officer concerned, or by the Development Panel which is made up of a number of councillors.

An elected member can "call-in" an application so that it is considered by the Development Panel.

Types of application and checklists

This application should be used for proposals to alter or enlarge a single house, including works within the boundary/garden of a house.

This includes projects such as:

  • Extensions
  • Conservatories
  • Loft conversions
  • Dormer windows
  • Garages, car ports and outbuildings
  • Properties in Article Four or Conservation Areas for windows and doors

Check that the development you are carrying out should not be considered as a Minor (or Full) application.

The fee for the householder application is £206.00 .

Find out more about this application on the Planning Portal.

Apply online

The following documents will help you with your application

Download the householder application form

Download the householder application validation check list

Download the householder application windows form

You should use this application form to make a detailed planning application for development, excluding householder developments.

This includes building, engineering or other works, in, on, over or under land, or the making of any material change in the use of any buildings or other land.

As such it should be used for:

  • Any works relating to a flat
  • Applications to change the number of dwellings (flat conversions, building a separate house in the garden)
  • Changes of use to part or all of the property to non-residential (including business) uses
  • Anything outside the garden of the property (including stables if in a separate paddock

Where can I find out more information?

The Planning Portal provides more information on this type of application.

How do I apply?

Use the validation checklist and the following documents to find out what information you will need to include with your application:

Download the validation checklist

Download the barn and building conversion guidance

Download the ecological assessment guidance

Download the non-mains means of drainage guidance

Download the heritage statement guidance

Download the flood risk assessment guidance

Download the transport assessment guidance

Download the land contamination & land gas assessment guidance

Download the tree survey guidance

Download the viability assessment guidance

Download the surface water drainage checklist

Apply online

Applications for Outline Planning Permission seek to establish whether the scale and nature of a proposed development would be acceptable to the local planning authority, before a fully detailed proposal is put forward.

This type of planning application allows fewer details about the proposal to be submitted.

Once outline permission has been granted, you will need to ask for approval of the details (“reserved matters”) before work can start.

These details will be the subject of a “reserved matters” application at a later stage. 

Find out more about Outline Planning Consent from the Planning Portal.

How to apply for Outline Planning Consent

Use the relevant validation checklist to ensure all the necessary information is provided and then apply online via the Planning Portal.

Download the Outline Planning Consent checklist

Download the Major Outline Planning Consent checklist

Apply online

There are other types of planning application, such as advertising consent and reserved matters consent.

If your development requires one of these, go to the Planning Portal to find out more and to make an application.

Download a copy of the Full Validation Checklist below.

Full Validation Checklist

Amendments to your work

If you make amendments to what was approved in the planning permission prior to starting work, or during construction, then you should reconsider your approval and investigate the need for any further applications to address any modifications.  

How do I appeal a decision?

A decision on your planning application will be made by a planning officer, or the Development Panel which is made up of a number of councillors. 

If a planning application is refused, the Council will set out the precise reasons for this and the planning policies as to why the application was refused. If you consider that the reasons of objection can be overcome through revisions or amendments to your application, then you contact us for some advice on resubmitting your application.

Alternatively should you wish to challenge the Council's decision then you have the right to submit an appeal with the Planning Inspector. You can find out more on the Planning Portal website.

Only the applicant can appeal against a decision to refuse an application. Objectors are not able to appeal against a decision which does not go in their favour.