We're in the process of setting our budget for the 2020/21 financial year and are inviting residents, businesses and groups in the borough to have their say on our approach. To fill in the consultation questionnaire go to: https://www.allerdale.gov.uk/en/consultation/.
Local Plan (Part 2) Pre-Submission Consultation
The Pre-Submission Consultation has now closed.
The Council submited the Allerdale Local Plan (Part 2) for examination in January 2019.
For the current position see the Latest News.
What is the Pre-Submission Consultation?
This is the final consultation stage before the Local Plan is submitted to the Planning Inspectorate for an independent examination. The document has been amended following the Preferred Options consultation in 2017. You can find details of previous consultations.
This consultation stage focuses on the legal aspect, specifically the tests of soundness as set out in the National Planning Policy Framework. The Local Plan (Part 2) should be:
- Positively prepared – the Plan should be prepared based on a strategy which seeks to meet objectively assessed development and infrastructure requirements, including unmet requirements from neighbouring authorities where it is reasonable to do so and consistent with achieving sustainable development;
- Justified – the Plan should be the most appropriate strategy, when considered against the reasonable alternatives, based on proportionate evidence;
- Effective – the Plan should be deliverable over its period and based on effective joint working on cross-boundary strategic priorities; and
- Consistent with national policy – the Plan should enable the delivery of sustainable development in accordance with the policies in the Framework.
Comments are invited regarding the soundness of the document based upon the criteria above. All comments received during the consultation will be read and analysed by the Council before being collated and sent to the Planning Inspectorate alongside the Local Plan (Part 2). All of the comments received will be made publically available on the Council’s website.
Electronic versions of the consultation documents are available below.
Local Plan (Part 2) documents
How could people respond?
The use of the standard representations form was strongly recommended as this will ensure that comments are related to matters relevant to the subsequent examination by a planning inspector. The representations form can be downloaded here:
The response form could be returned either electronically (firstname.lastname@example.org) or via post (Planning Policy Team, Strategy Policy and Performance, Allerdale Borough Council, Allerdale House, Workington, CA14 3YJ).
A Guidance Note was prepared to help with comments – Guidance Note
The consultation period on the Local Plan (Part 2) Pre-Submission document started on Friday 5th October and ended at 4pm on Friday 16th November – comments received after this deadline will not be accepted.
Where could I view paper copies of the consultation documents?
Copies of the consultation documents were to be found at the locations below during their normal office opening hours:
- Aspatria Library, Market Square, Aspatria, CA7 3EZ
- Cockermouth Customer Service Centre and Library, Main Street, Cockermouth, CA13 9LU
- Maryport Customer Service Centre, Town Hall, Senhouse Street, Maryport, CA15 6BH
- Maryport Library, Lawson Street, Maryport, CA15 6ND
- Silloth Library, The Discovery Centre, Liddell Street, Silloth, CA7 4DD
- Wigton Library, High Street, Wigton, CA7 9NJ
- Wigton Local Links, Community Office, Market Hall, Wigton, CA7 9AA
- Allerdale House, Workington, CA14 3YJ
- Workington Library, Vulcans Lane, Workington, CA14 2ND