Skip to main content

Budget advice

If you having difficulty managing your money Allerdale Citizens Advice might be able to help.  You can contact them by telephone on 01900 604735.  For help with your Council Tax and Housing Costs click on the links below for more information:

Other useful tips and numbers - energy, water and rent bills

  • Some energy companies offer a Warm Homes Discount scheme. Contact your energy company to find out if you are eligible.
  • You may want to consider installing a water or credit meter. If you are having problems paying your utility bills, contact your supplier straight away and they may be able to offer options payment.
  • Energy Efficiency Advice from Ofgem
  • Speak to your landlord, or if you're making debt repayments, speak to your creditors, to explain your situation and ask them to accept a later payment once your Universal Credit payment comes through.
  • If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax bill, contact us and we may be able to help you

If you’re facing losing your home, ring us on 0303 123 1702 and we may be able to help.

Help with food and clothing costs

Help if you claim Universal Credit

Information can be found on the  Universal Credit website information or call the helpline on 0800 328 5644 . Advice is available on:

  • Financial help from Universal Credit
  • A short-term advance of Universal Credit
  • An interest-free loan
  • Longer-term alternative payment arrangements
  • Energy and water bills
  • Fuel Direct deductions from Universal Credit

What is the Debt Respite Scheme (Breathing Space)?

From 4 May 2021, the government’s Breathing Space scheme went live. The scheme gives an individual with problem debt legal protection from their creditors during the Breathing Space period.

There are two types of breathing space; standard or mental health crisis breathing space.

A standard breathing space lasts 60 days from the approved application and a mental health crisis breathing space lasts as long as the treatment period plus 30 days.

How does an individual apply for Breathing Space?

Individuals can only access breathing space by seeking the advice of a Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) recognised Debt Advice Provider (DAP). 

For more information on where to go for debt advice in your local area please go online.

Anyone who cannot or is unlikely to repay their debts can apply to a debt adviser for standard breathing space.

All applications must be considered by the debt advice provider although the DAP may decide that breathing space is not appropriate for the debtor.

Mental health crisis applications can also be made on behalf of the individual by an appropriate representative such as a mental health professional. 

If an Approved Mental Health Professional (AMHP) certifies that a person is receiving mental health crisis treatment, the AMHP’s evidence can be used by a debt adviser to start a mental health crisis breathing space.

Debt advice is available from:

Please don't suffer and ignore any bills you are struggling to pay. Speak to one of our customer service advisors or the Citizens Advice Bureau for help and advice.

Council Strategy design

Cumberland Council

On 1 April 2023 local government in Cumbria changed, with Cumberland Council providing all your council services.  

Don't worry though, your bins will be emptied as normal, and you'll still be able to speak to the same team about any enquiries to do with things like council tax, benefits, planning or any other service.

Find out more about the changes.

Keep up to date by finding and following the new council on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. 

Sign-up to receive updates straight to your email inbox.

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options