Close ​​​​​​​Waste collections

Bins not been emptied? We do apologise, but due to changes to our waste collection services the crews are finding they are not able to make it to some properties on the right day. We are working to address this. If your bin hasn't been emptied, check our webpage to see if you live in an area we know about and, if so, please just leave your bin out. You do not need to report it to us. We are doing everything we can to return to your property in the following day or two. You can also find out more about the changes to our bin collections and check your bin day with our online calendar.

Housing for Older People in Allerdale

If you are no longer able to live in your own home, there are options available which provide some form of care, but also allow you to live independently.

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing gives older people the independence of having a self-contained flat with the security of an alarm system and a warden. There is often a communal social area. The sheltered housing staff should check on you every day and be able to assist you in an emergency. They would not be expected to provide care or do things like shopping.

If you require additional services, you can still have care provided by the social services department, such as meals on wheels, or someone to come in to get you up in the morning, or to help you wash, or do your housework. 
Alternatively, you could move into very sheltered housing or extra care sheltered housing, where services such as meals and personal care are usually provided. 

It is possible to find sheltered housing to rent or to buy. 

Who provides sheltered housing? 

A number of housing providers have sheltered housing schemes:

Anchor Housing - 0808 102 4179
Scheme Town
Kirklands Bungalows Cockermouth
Lakeland Court Keswick
Solway Court Maryport
Salisbury Court Workington
Wordsworth Court Cockermouth
Scheme Town Contact
Abbeyfield House Cockermouth 01900 825306
Loveday House Wigton 016973 345848
Home Group Supported Accommodation with part time wardens - 0345 141 4663
Scheme Town
Burnside Wigton
Pennine View Silloth
Bridge End Court (no warden) Cockermouth
Castles and Coasts Housing Association
Scheme Town Contact
Ellen Court Maryport 01900 826495
Castle Gardens Papcastle 01900 602889
Victoria Court Cockermouth 01900 826495
Laybourne House Workington 01900 602889
Firth House Seaton 01900 605835
Derwent Close Keswick 017687 72789
Housing 21
Scheme Town Contact
Inglis House Maryport 0370 192 4000

Further information about sheltered housing 

Further information about sheltered housing is available from Age UK at

Extra Care Housing

The aim of Extra Care Housing is to help people stay at home for as long as possible and to live independently. Extra Care Housing is designed with the needs of frail older people in mind, and with varying levels of care and support available on site.

People living in Extra Care housing will have their own self-contained homes, their own front door and have the legal right to live in the property. Extra Care housing also provides communal facilities and may include restaurants, or dining rooms, health and fitness facilities, hobby rooms and computer rooms. Both domestic support and personal care are available and is usually provided by an on-site team.

Access to Extra Care Housing

Extra care housing is usually available to people who have a care or support need, and an assessment of your care and support needs will be carried out to help decide if this is type of accommodation can support you.


Who provides extra care housing?


Extra Care
Provider Scheme Location Contact
Castles & Coasts Greta Gardens Keswick 01228 635683
Home Group Fairview Court Wigton 016973 43908