Skip to main content
Garden waste collections

The council and our waste collection partners Allerdale Waste Services would like to apologise for the issues which have affected some properties' garden waste collections this week. The issues have been caused by self-isolation and other staff absences. 

The advice for households who've not had their collection this week is to take bins back in and present them on their next scheduled garden waste collection day.

Households are advised to continue checking our website and social media accounts for the latest information on collections.


England has moved into Step 4 from 19 July 2021

• See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and our services.

• Help and advice for affected businesses, charities and other organisations.

• Advice for individuals including the Test and Trace Support payment to help those self-isolating.

• Our customer contact centres have reopened to public on an appointment-only basis. However, please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us where possible. Contact us link includes details on how to book an appointment. 

Licences for collections

Street Collections

If you want to stand on the street and collect money for charity (also known as 'flag days') you will need a Street Collection Permit

These are free and you can provisionally book your preferred day with us, though the dates must be booked 28 days in advance.

The reason for the permit is to control the number of collectors in an area in any one day - which is in your interests. We shall only allow one charity collection to take place in the same town at any one time.

Other policy considerations are:

  • local charities i.e. those which support people, activities and interests in Allerdale will be allowed up to four collections per town per year.
  • National charities will be allowed up to two collections per town per year; and
  • Outside charities will be allowed one collection per town per year

What you must do

  • There are regulations on how to behave whilst collecting. These are enclosed with your permit.
  • Don't forget that a statement of accounts which will be found on the reverse of the permit, must be submitted within one month of the collection.

Download the Street Collections permit application form

Once completed send this form to the Licensing department at our main office in Workington .

House to House collections

Raising money for charity by collecting from house to house requires a permit. You can get this from the Licensing Department and it is free of charge.  

These permits are also required when collecting money from pub to pub.  

Permits are often issued on a weekly basis and there is no restriction on the number of collections taking place at any one time.

What you must do

  • Book the required dates by completing and submitting the form at least 28 days in advance.
  • House to House Regulations must be adhered to and will be enclosed with your permit.
  • All collectors must wear a prescribed badge in a prominent position when collecting.  A Certificate of Information will be forwarded with your permit for you to obtain a Certificate of Authority and Prescribed Badges for each collector. 
  • A statement of accounts found on the reverse of the permit must be completed and submitted within one month of the collection.

Download the House to House Collections permit application form

Once completed send this form to the Licensing department at our main office in Workington .