Skip to main content

Parking Fines (Penalty Charge Notices)

We now enforce on and off-street parking. Parking fines are strictly called Penalty Charge Notices, or PCNs.

Cumberland Council is responsible for all on and off street parking (on roads and highways). More information can be found on the  Cumberland Website .

For PCN’s issued up to the 31st March 2023

For PCN’s issued on or after the 1st April 2023

How much will I have to pay?

There are two tariffs for PCNs issued by us:

  • Higher tariff - £70.00 - for more serious contraventions
  • Lower Tariff - £50.00 - for less serious contraventions

Both tariffs are discounted by 50% if they are paid or challenged within 14 days of issue.

Other ways to pay

Use our 24 hour automated telephone payments line 0300 373 3730 to pay by credit/debit card using Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, Visa Delta or Solo. (Please have your penalty charge notice details ready.)

Appeal a parking fine (PCN) 

If you wish to appeal a Penalty Charge Notice you have 28 days to submit a challenge. If you do it within 14 days and your appeal is rejected you will only need to pay 50% of the penalty charge.

To appeal you can either:

  • appeal online using the form below
  • appeal in writing as outlined on the back of the Penalty Charge Notice. Send your appeal documentation to parking services at Allerdale House in Workington .

Please note: Parking appeals cannot be made by phone or in person.

You can check the parking enforcement regulations to find out more information about enforcement.

Appeal a Penalty Charge Notice ('parking fine')

If your appeal is rejected

We will write to you with the outcome of your appeal. If your appeal is unsuccessful we will explain the reasons for this.

If your appeal is unsuccessful you can either pay the penalty charge (at the discounted 50% rate) or you can take your appeal to the The Traffic Penalty Tribunal

Council Strategy design

Cumberland Council

On 1 April 2023 local government in Cumbria changed, with Cumberland Council providing all your council services.  

Don't worry though, your bins will be emptied as normal, and you'll still be able to speak to the same team about any enquiries to do with things like council tax, benefits, planning or any other service.

Find out more about the changes.

Keep up to date by finding and following the new council on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. 

Sign-up to receive updates straight to your email inbox.

Accessibility and language tool

Use the ReciteMe toolbar for accessibility and language options