We are aware of an issue for those using the Safari browser to view our website, which affects some of the online forms. If you are using Safari to access one of our online forms and see an error message, we recommend using another browser such as Chrome. Our contractor is working on a solution to the issue. Apologies for any inconvenience.
See the latest news and get more information regarding coronavirus (Covid-19). Find out more about the help for affected businesses, charities and individuals. There is also advice if you are reopening your business and shopping safely. Please use our online forms, webchat, app and phone number to contact us. Our offices remain closed to the public.
Parking Fines (Penalty Charge Notices)
Allerdale Borough Council are responsible for the enforcement of off-street parking which is the majority of the car parks in Allerdale. Parking fines are strictly called Penalty Charge Notices, or PCNs.
Cumbria County Council is responsible for all on-street parking (on roads and highways). If the number on your penalty charge notice starts with YP you will have to contact Cumbria County Council. More information can be found on the Cumbria County Council Website.
How much will I have to pay?
There are two tariffs for parking fines in Allerdale:
- Higher tariff - £70.00 - for more serious contraventions
- Lower Tariff - £50.00 - for less serious contraventions
Both tariffs are discounted by 50% if they are paid or challenged within 14 days of issue.
Pay a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN, or 'parking fine')
The easiest way to pay a Penalty Charge Notice is online:
Other ways to pay
- Use our 24 hour automated telephone payments line 0303 123 1702 to pay by credit/debit card using Visa, Mastercard, Maestro, Visa Delta or Solo. (Please have your penalty charge notice details ready.)
- By post to Allerdale Borough Council, Allerdale House, New Bridge Road, Workington, Cumbria, CA14 3YL, or in person at one of our customer service centres.
Appeal a parking fine (PCN)
If you wish to appeal a Penalty Charge Notice you have 28 days to submit a challenge. If you do it within 14 days and your appeal is rejected you will only need to pay 50% of the penalty charge.
To appeal you can either:
- appeal online using the form below
- appeal in writing as outlined on the back of the Penalty Charge Notice. Send your appeal documentation to parking services at Allerdale House in Workington.
Please note: Parking appeals cannot be made by phone or in person.
You can check the parking enforcement regulations to find out more information about enforcement.
If your appeal is rejected
We will write to you with the outcome of your appeal. If your appeal is unsuccessful we will explain the reasons for this.
If your appeal is unsuccessful you can either pay the penalty charge (at the discounted 50% rate) or you can take your appeal to the The Traffic Penalty Tribunal.
Sign up for the latest news and updates