We provide a pest control service for domestic and commercial premises.
During an appointment the Pest Control Officer may advise the customer on action that will act as a deterrent for pests.
To request an appointment please call our Customer Services Team on 0300 373 3730 .
Below are charges for some of our services. For more information on all our charges, see our fees and charges page.
|Treatment||Normal charge||Benefit recipient||Commercial|
Pests we do treat
The lifecycle from egg to ant takes two months. Ants and nests can be inaccessible and difficult to destroy.
Allerdale Borough Council's pest control officers will provide a service for the treatment of ants in a domestic property.
There is a charge for this service.
Fleas are one to eight mm long. Adult fleas live as parasites on warm blooded animals such as cats, dogs, rabbits and birds.
Any cats or dogs living in the property must be treated before a pest control visit. Fumigation of the whole household including furnishings such as carpets, curtains, beds, bedding etc, will normally take place as part of the service.
The householder will be asked to remove any delicate pets such as birds, hamsters, tropical fish etc, in order that fumigation can take place.
The flea lifecycle
1. The female flea lays her eggs on the animals coat
2. Eggs fall off into the home environment and develop into larvae
3. The larvae feeds off any flea dirt, dead skin and debris that falls off animals
4. Pupa develop
5. A fully functioning flea emerges and the cycle starts again
Allerdale Borough Council can provide a treatment for rats and mice in domestic premises. There is a charge.
Advice will be provided to the householder on safety precautions and follow-up visits are carried out to remove any surplus bait.
Treatments are also available for commercial premises such as farms, hotels etc.
Requests from food premises are passed on to our environmental health unit.
Wasps live in nests that are typically found in roof spaces, airbricks, cavity walls, garden sheds and trees. Wasps nests develop during the spring and early summer. Wasps are aggressive when disturbed and will sting. If a nest is causing a nuisance then it is best treated professionally.
Allerdale Borough Council’s pest control officers will treat wasp problems. A charge for the service will apply. No external treatment will be carried out at a height higher than a standard two storey building.
Pests we don't treat
Bees, both honey bees and bumble bees, are an endangered species. Allerdale Borough Council do not treat either species. There is more advice on the British Beekeepers Association website .
Many people feed pigeons. The number of pigeons attracted to an area depends on the food available.
If pigeons are being fed, more pigeons will be attracted to the area. Pigeons nest and roost on balconies, window ledges and roof areas of surrounding buildings.
Allerdale Borough Council does not normally provide a service for treating pigeons.
Each case is treated individually and in special circumstances, fees and charges will apply.
Other mammals we do not treat
- Bats (Bats are a protected species - follow wildlife conservation advice )
Allerdale Borough Council do not normally provide a service for dealing with Seagulls. Here are some information and resources to support you.
The RSPCA has several resources on their website for example, gulls nesting on roofs, dive-bombing etc. The RSPCA website has a whole section dedicated to gulls, which provides useful information and advice about gulls in general, but also advice for deterrence and dealing with gulls chicks.
Other insects we do not treat
- Furniture beetle
- Flying ants
If your property needs to be fumigated
If our pest control officers advise you that your property must be fumigated to treat your pest problem, you must follow these steps to ensure the treatment is carried out safely:
- All floor areas must be clear
- The whole property must be vacuumed on the morning of the appointment
- Any cats or dogs must be treated for fleas seperately
- Pregnant women, babies and children under five must not be on the premises during the treatment and after treatment for two days
- Other people and pets must not re-enter the property until treated areas are completely dry
- Do not vacuum treated areas for seven days to allow the treatment to work.
- If you cancel up to 48 hours before a treatment, we will refund 75% of the cost.
- If you cancel the same day, we will refund 50% of the cost. If our pest control officer visits but is unable to carry out a treatment, a £41 call-out fee applies